It aint gon stop

After school, Diamond drove to Tyrell’s Neighborhood to meet with him and get her hair re-braided. She cruised past six apartment buildings before she found the one she searched for. The parking lot near their building was kind of full, but Diamond found a spot to squeeze into. She saw Tyrell working on Jasmine’s Buick and headed his way. He was under the hood of the car messing around with the engine when Diamond came behind him. To busy fixing the car, he didn’t notice her presence.

      “TY,. . . TY,” Diamond repeated, but it was obvious he couldn’t hear her over the music he had playing. Diamond walked directly behind him and leaned in his right ear. “TYRELLLL!” Caught off guard by the yelling, Tyrell jumped up and hit his head on the hood of the car. He spun around holding the sore spot on his head.

      “Man what the fuck,” Tyrell grumbled. “What you yellin’ for dog?” He laid his tools to the side.

      “I wouldn’t have to yell if you heard me the first two times,” Diamond explained. Tyrell was still upset about hitting his head, he didn’t care what excuse she had.

      “What ever,” he replied. “So what’s up?”

     “You found out where the Murda at?” Diamond asked.

      “Yea. Well one of em,” Tyrell answered. “That nigga D. He stay in Green Oaks, right off the river. Buildin’ seven.”

       “That’s what’s up.”  Diamond nodded. She rubbed her chin in thought. “I figured he stayed round that area, But anyway, where Meka at? I need my hair done.”

       “She up stairs in the room,” Tyrell said getting back to work. He grabbed his tools and leaned over the engine.

      “Aight cool,” Diamond left Tyrell heading to the stairs of his apartment. While she climbed up the cold stairway a nasty stench overwhelmed her nose. The smell was a mixture of urine and the unseen corpse of a rodent. She covered her nose and mouth in disgust. “Got damn!” She jogged up the last few steps in a hurry to the fourth floor. Diamond rushed out of the stairway onto the fourth floor and took a deep breath. Even though the hallway didn’t smell much better, it was a big relief from the stairs. After she got herself together, Diamond walked down the hallway to room 413. She knocked on the door three times in wait for someone to answer. Moments later, Forty, Jameka’s brother swung open the door. A foot taller than Diamond, Forty stared down at her.

      “W-wa-what you knockin’ so hard for?” he remarked. Diamond sucked her teeth at his comment.

      “So I won’t be out here all day,” she said. “Ya’ll niggas be actin’ death.” Forty nodded his head and let Diamond in. Donte, or Forty, is Jameka’s older brother. He’s 6’4”, 23 years old, and brown skinned. He was one of the neighborhood’s drunks, which deemed him the nickname Forty. “Where Meka at?”

       “Uhh, I think she sleep,” Forty answered. He shut the door behind him locking it. “Aye, Jazz… Jazz!”

       “What?” Jasmine asked. She walked out of the kitchen with a glass of red cool aid.

      “Uhh… where umm …” Forty paused for a second to gather his thoughts. Forty’s speech has always been slow, but grew worse because of his drinking problem. Jasmine cut her eyes and leaned on the counter while she waited for him to finish his sentence. “… Meka.”

       “Out with it!” Jasmine interrupted. “Damn… this aint the guessin’ game.”

       “Shut up!” Forty replied. “What I’m trynna say is… Is Meka sleep?”