First day out

Ten years later outside of Ripen River state prison, Tyrell was standing by the exit gate. He carries nothing but the clothes on his back. Dressed in all black with a bandana on his head, he was waiting for his ride. For the last eighteen months Tyrell had been imprisoned on a felony gun charge. The sentence cost him his high school education as well as his rights, but both meant nothing to him. At the age of nineteen, Tyrell was 5’9” and strongly built from prison workouts.

Tired and weary, Tyrell wondered where his girlfriend Jameka was. She was supposed to pick him up twenty minutes ago. He’s anxious to get out of this area and see the rest of his family. He and Jameka wanted to surprise his mother and sister so they told them he wouldn’t be out for another week. He knew his mother would be extra shocked.

Another ten minutes dragged by and still no sign of Jameka. This began to aggravate Tyrell. If only he had a phone to call her, but he didn’t. Tyrell sat on the ground staring into the sky hoping the wait wouldn’t be much longer. Just when it seemed he couldn’t wait another second, a light tan car came down the road. Even though the windows were tinted, Tyrell knew who it was. When the car stopped in front of him Jameka hopped out with a smile on her face. She quickly went in the back seat to get their son Tyeshawn.

Jameka was 19 years old and 5’7” in height. She has tan skin, glossy black eyes and long jet-black hair. Four years ago, the two of them bore a son they named Tyeshawn. Tyeshawn resembled Tyrell but had his mother’s eyes. Without a moments notice Tyeshawn ran to his dad who scooped him up.

“What’s up boy?” Tyrell lightly chuckled. “You been takin’ care of ya mama?”

“Uh huh,” Tyeshawn nodded. Tyrell held his son in one arm while staring at Jameka. Part of him wanted to knock the top off her head for being an hour late, but since he missed her so much he decided not to complain. When Tyrell put Tyeshawn down he and Jameka hugged tightly. Still clinging to each other the two began to kiss.

“Baby I missed you so much,” Jameka said staring into his eyes.

“Me too. You the main one who got me through this,” Tyrell started to get a little sentimental as he spoke. “Kept my mind right.”

“Aww, baby you so sweet,” She blushed. Holding hands, the two entered the car and drove home. The trip lasted two hours, but when you haven’t seen your loved ones in a year and a half, it felt like ten minutes. Finally back in San Tera ,Tyrell looked out the window as they drove through the city.

Passing through North San Tera first, he saw the change in the city. San Tera has never been too big; it’s less than a fraction of the size of New York City, with a population of 250,000. Still, everything seemed so different. North Tera has always been where the rich live, the same goes for East Tera. These two sections were what brought the tourist and money. Unfortunately they weren’t headed there. His home was in the poorest part of the city, South San Tera.

The entire South Tera was filled with abandon houses and businesses. The area was never known for bringing in money, but when the economy crashed that only made things worse. Now, South Tera is officially in decay. Gangs, drug dealers, and junkies flood the streets. Homes sink into foreclosure on the daily, while the crime and unemployment rate skyrocket.

When they reached Tyrell’s old neighborhood, Pine Grove, Tyrell sat up in excitement. He couldn’t wait to see the look on his mother’s face. Jameka pulled into the driveway and got out of the car to get Tyeshawn from the baby seat. Tyrell waited for Jameka and they walked to the front door where they rang the doorbell. The door opened slowly and the woman at the doorstep covered her mouth when she saw Tyrell.

“Oh My God… ,” Tyrell’s mother murmured. She extended her arms and embraced her son. “Thank you Jesus… ” A Tear ran down her face as they continued to hug. “I missed you sooo much.” She kissed Tyrell on the head.

“I missed you too ma,” Tyrell smiled. He looked around the house. His home still looked the same, it always has.

“Jazz! … Come here, Tyrell home!” His mom shouted. Tyrell’s little sister who is now 16 came into the room. Her face lit up when she saw her brother.

“I thought you weren’t gettin’ out for another week,” Jasmine exclaimed. She hugged her brother tightly.

“We lied…” Tyrell admitted. “Me and Meka wanted to surprise ya’ll.”

“Well that’s exactly what you did. I can’t tell you how happy I am,” his mother stated. She smiled brightly at her son. “My baby home.”

The rest of Tyrell’s family wasn’t in town. His older sister Andrea lived in Charlotte North Carolina. His father and mother got separated five years ago and he now lived in Charleston South Carolina. Tyrell’s older brother Tye is still in prison. He was suppose to be released a year ago, but caught a murder charge while behind bars. The murder tacked an additional 40 years to his 10-year sentence.

Tyrell spent the rest of the day with his family. His mother fixed a large meal that had all of his favorites. After he ate, Tyrell packed some of his old clothes and headed to Jameka’s place. Jameka stayed about five minutes from Pine Grove in a neighborhood called The Corners. The Corners was a glorified version of the projects. The housing complexes were only two stories tall and looked a  mess. Each building had it’s own flaws, for example, Jameka’s building had a broken elevator and no central air conditioning. Despite these problems it was better than the building next door, which was worse.

Jameka parked her car in the side lot next to her building. She got out letting Tyrell get Tyeshawn from the back while she went to the door. Once inside Jameka turned the lights on, It was going on 10:00pm so it was time to put Tyeshan to bed.

“Tyrell,” Jameka called out. Tyrell looked her way to see what she wanted. “You can put Tyeshawn to bed for me?”

“No problem,” Tyrell replied. He walked Tyeshawn to his room. The two ran around playing a little bit before Tyrell put him in the bed. He tucked his son in with a light smile on his face.

“Daddy…” Tyshawn said, glaring at his father.

“What’s up?” Tyrell asked.

“Are you goin’ away again?” He wondered. That cut Tyrell deep, his heart pulsed at his son’s words. Tyrell knelt by the bed.

“Naw. I aint goin’ nowhere,” He responded. Tyeshawn smiled and closed his eyes.

“Night dad,” he said.

“Sleep tight lil man,” Tyrell replied. He walked out of the room pretty sleepy himself. When he entered Jameka’s room, Tyrell jumped on the bed and stretched out.

“Damn it feels good to be back,” He smirked. Tyrell heard footsteps and looked up to see Jameka. She was wearing a see through silk robe with bright red lingerie underneath.

“You know what else feels good,” She joked as she leaned on the doorway. Tyrell grinned; his eyes glued to his mate.

“Damn it feels good to be back!” he repeated. Jameka shut the door turning off the lights.