Chapter 2. Step By Step

* Tuesday *

The sun is creeping through the window. I hear humming birds sing their morning songs. I feel the cool Autum breeze come through the window. Sitting up, I check my phone. I have nineteen text messages. I don't even bother to read them. I climb out of bed and go to the bathroom. Turning on the shower I slip out my clothes and get in. Feeling the hot water hit my body was wonderful. I look down at my small belly. Just thinking that in a matter of weeks I'll have a huge belly tickles me. I wash up and grab my towel from its rack. Wrapping it around me I step out the shower. I brush my teeth and straighten my hair. Looking at the clock I see its 7:00. Quinton will be here shortly. I go to my walk in closet and search through the hangers and drawers. I put on my pink floral mid-thigh dress and black heels. I get my purse and phone and walk downstairs. The living room is empty. I walk into the kitchen and its quiet. I looked out the window and didn't see Chris's car. Where is everyone? Just then I heard my dad cough. He was in his office. My phone vibrated, and I see a message from Quinton saying he's outside, so I open the front door. He gets out the car. He wore a skin tight black under armour shirt that showed his nicely toned muscles. Gray basketball shorts and black Nike's. My eyes scouted his body slowly. I guess he saw me watching him because he smirked. He got to the door and I let him in. "You look nice." he said looking me up and down with a smile. "Thanks." I say blushing. We walk into the kitchen and sit at the table. "My dad should be down any minute now." I say nervously. He nodded his head. Only seconds later did my father walk into the room. He walked right past us humming without notice we were even there. Quinton looked at me confused. My dad looked in a cabinet, closed it and turned around. He jumped in fright seeing us suddenly. Quinton and I slightly laughed at his reaction. "Damnit Jasmine. You scared to hell out of me." he said straightening his suit. "Sorry dad." I said with a giggle. " He looked Quinton's way. "Quinton?" he asked. "Hello Mr.Cane and goodmorning." he said standing up. I got up as well and stood next to Quinton. "What brings you here? Chris has already left." he stated.

Quinton looked as if was having trouble stating why so I cut in. "Dad....I have something to tell you." I said trying to avoid eye contact with him. "Whats wrong Jas?" he asked worrisome.

I couldn't find myself to look up at him. So I look down and closed my eyes. Just a second later I felt someone grab my hand, entwining their hands into mine. I opened my eyes and saw Quinton's hand locked into mine. I look up at him and he was looking ahead to my father. I looked to my father who was looking at me and Quinton.

"Is there something I'm missing?" he asked cluelessly. I slightly squeezed Quintons hand for comfort. "Dad...before you say anything and get all mad, I just want you to know it was an accident." I said. "Remember how I've been kind of sick lately? Well..." He thought back on it. His facial expression then went south. He knew it. He isn't stupid. He looked at me, then at Quinton, slowly looking down at our entwined hands. He had put two and two together. "Jasmine." was all he said. Quinton then squeezed my hand for comfort. His hand was warm and soft. An awkward silence stood in the air. I looked my father in the eyes. "Yes daddy. I'm pregnant." I said softly. "And I'm guessing Quinton here is the father." he stated. "Yes sir." Quinton said.

"I suspect you'll be by my daughter's side."

"Yes Mr.Cane, its my responsibility. I will do any and everything I have do to take care of Jasmine and the baby."

"Well Quinton. It makes me very proud to see you here with my daughter. You've earned my respect. Not every young man can do what your doing right now." I closed my eyes once again. "Jasmine. We'll be having a long talk when I get home." said my dad. "Yes daddy." My father kissed me on the forehead and shook Quinton's hand. He then left the kitchen. I let out a deep breath. Just as I was about to say something Quinton wrapped his arms around my waist bringing me close to his chest. He held me. I could feel his flexed muscled arms around me. My face was nuzzled to his chest. It's like we fit. I didn't want to leave his arms. Then he slowly pulled away. "That went different than I thought." he said. I nodded my head. "Now there's Chris." I said. "I got Chris." he said. "Are you sure? I don't want any problems between you two." I said looking up to him. "Yeah. Lets go or we'll be late." I grabbed my things and followed Quinton out the door. We got in the car and sped down the street blasting his music. I looked out the window the whole car ride. When we got to school he helped me out the car. "I have basketball practice after school." he said. "Okaay. I'll get a ride home from Mya." I say. "No, I want to take you home. Wait for me in the stands." he said. "Okaay." I nod my head and go my way.