8. I won't be afraid

Start from the beginning

"I think I might have spotted something out by the house." she whispered to Daniel. Adelina began to wonder if her eyes were just playing tricks on her. Her head began to pound after she settled down into the ground.

Adelina got completely onto her stomach and began to crawl the last few paces to the door. She grabbed the handle to the rusty metal door and tried with all her strength to twist it open, but the door wouldn't budge from this angle.

"I'm going to have to stand up to be able to get this open."

Daniel watched as Adelina lifted herself up the ground. Her eyes moved quickly from one side to the other looking at every angle. She saw no movement so she began to kick at the door handle until she could feel it moving. She quickly throws her body back onto the ground with a thud. She doesn't want to chance being out in the open like that for too long. She finished opening the door and crawls down into the deep and dank hole.

Daniel follows behind her and he closed the door behind him. The room became pitch black so Daniel grabs a flashlight out of his backpack and turns it on.

"Hold on let me find the light and you can turn that off," she told Daniel. She searched the wall trying to remember where the light switch was out before finding it. The lights make a humming noise when they turn on.

She led Daniel into the room where all the supplies are. She looks at his shocked expression on his face and laughs.

"See, told you that my family had a lot of supplies. I think I saw some weapons down here too." Adelina walked over to the cabinets and began rummaging through all of them.

Daniel stood there with his mouth dropped in shock still. He couldn't believe her family had planned and packed up this place. They could stay down here for years, depending on how much fuel the generator had.

"Adelina, this is amazing. We could stay down here for a long time and be safe. Your family stored a lot down here to help you."

"I'm not staying down here Daniel. I was down here for weeks maybe longer and it was awful. You just can't understand how awful it was for me." She doesn't look him in the eye when she said this. She knew he would be disappointed but he had to understand! This place felt like a prison to her and she couldn't go back to living down here.

Adelina did understand why Daniel wanted to stay down her. She had seen the terror in his eyes the first time they had been reunited. She could only imagine some of the awful things he had seen but she couldn't give up now. She couldn't live with herself if she left her family out there with an unknown fate.

"We must look for our families. I can't just sit here while they are god knows where! I'm sure you worry about your mom too. I can't sit back this time. I may not be a fighter but this time I have to fight. I won't give up Daniel. I won't give up until I have my family and they are safe. I would do the same if it was you that was captured too.I'll be honest with you, if you want to stay down here I won't be upset." Adelina moved closer and wrapped her hands around Daniels waist while looking up itno his eyes.

"We might fail. There is only two of us and who knows how many of them.If you want to stay down here and be safe this place is yours now. I'm not going to force you to do anything. You know I would never do anything like that. If I don't find them I will come back before setting out to look else, but I won't give up. I can't."

Daniel doesn't respond to Adelina. He looks down at her for a moment longer before running a hand through his hair and backing away. Daniel could see her body shaking in fear. He knew she was terrified just as she was, but she was determined. He wouldn't leave her alone to do this.