01| s p e c i o s a e

[Lt.] speciosae - (adj.) alluring

The power to attract, entice;
the quality causing attraction.gait; bearing

_

c a l e b :

THE COLD BREEZE of the air blew past her quivering body, causing her to cringe. Her teeth chattered and her fingers shook quite violently as she clutched her coat and made her way around the old abandoned building. Her hair, which was supposed to be frizzy and disheveled, was falling down her back in cascading waves. The soft crunching of the leaves beneath her feet did nothing to help her nerves.

She was captivating.

Simply alluring, I thought to myself.

I watched as she closed her eyes as a snowflake fell gently on her eyelash. The weather conditions were not equivalent to that of summers. It was clear as day, how cold she was. Under normal circumstances, the girl would be shriveling and on the brink of death. But not her. She was shivering all right, but she was -okay.

She looks more than okay... that voice at the back of my head whispered tauntingly.

My eyes scanned over her body once more.

Her dark brown hair fell down her back and torso, framing her face. Her cheeks and nose were flushed red due to the cold weather. It might have been her long eyelashes that fluttered close. Maybe even her pink full lips. But amongst all of her facial features, her eyes stood out the most. Those eyes were so blue, so pure. They were filled with innocence, yet mystery.

She pulled out a phone from the pocket of her coat, and swiped her finger across the phone. She looked hesitant at first. Reluctant to do whatever she wanted to do with the phone. Her eyes fluttered close, as she used her index finger to tap on the screen of the phone. Her eyes slowly opened, but judging by the look on her face, she'd rather have them closed. Her eyebrows were creased and her lip was trembling slowly. She pulled her lip in between her pearly white teeth, making me to suck in a sharp breath.

I should have run when it happened. I should have run far away. But I simply couldn't move. Those eyes I was admiring only a few moments ago were now filled with tears. She tried blinking them away the first time, but one escaped and fell down her cheek. A strangled sob escaped her lips, and before she could try and stop it, she fell on her knees in the snow.

I watched as her phone fell onto the snow. The tears were not flowing freely. She forced them back. She was trying to keep her emotions at bay. A bitter laugh sounded the serene environment. She crouched down and laughed so hard. Tears were streaming down her face so fast. I was watching her break right in front of me. I saw a girl so beautiful a few feet away, some moments ago. That girl is now miles away now. The girl now in front of me had unraveled like a thread. As a matter of fact, she was hanging on to a thread. If that makes any sense.

One might think quite awfully of me for sitting back and watching the girl break in amazement. Then again, I'm not one to care about what people think.

A few minutes later, the cries stopped. The laughing stopped. Everything just stopped. She shook her head in disbelief and cleaned up like nothing happened. The slight tilting of her body caused me to freeze. Her crystal blue orbs connected with my complicated forest green eyes. They went as wide as saucers, once she realized she had company the whole time.

A soft yet forced and pained smile graced upon her lips causing my chest to clench in anguish.

"You're looking like you're staring at an angel." She cocked an eyebrow at me.

Those seven words might as well have changed my life forever. That voice...was dripping with honey. It was so...indescribable. She had the voice of an angel, and at the same time the voice of a seductress...

I swallowed nervously as I smirked at the girl.

"I swear to God I am..."

"You got a name lover boy?"

"Caleb. Caleb Hunter."

She smiled at me. And I melted. I, Caleb Hunter, melted.

"Nice name. But I'm keeping lover boy." She winked.

I opened my mouth to keep the conversation going, when she all but looked at me and flashed me another smile.

"Caleb, it was a pleasure meeting you, but I really have to get going. As you saw, I spent a lot of time here already."

It didn't take a mastermind to know that I was embarrassed. I felt the heat slowly crawling up my neck and spreading like a bloody virus.

"About that...I'm sorry-

"No! No, no, no. It's quite alright really. It was a pleasure making your acquaintance. I have to go, but maybe I'll see you around."

"Time will tell, Angel."

She makes a nineteen year old like me want to beg for her company. She grinned at me one more time before turning on her heel and leaving. I turned around as well but not before hearing her say to me.

"It's Jade. Jade. Blue."

I turned back around yearning to see the shadow of the girl who captured my attention in less than an hour. But I am greeted with the sight of the old willow tree and the cool air blowing softly against my face.

"Jade Blue." I whispered.