My Hero

Near death experiences seem to be my forte. Do I blame my connection to the Winchesters for that? Not one bit. As I've made perfectly clear, I was always a bit of a klutz. Things like this were bound to happen eventually, even if I had never met Sam and Dean. Every experience I had was peanuts compared to the event that almost took my life for good. And would you believe it had nothing to do with monsters or supernatural beings of any kind? The boys had not had a case in a few days, so we were just hanging out, driving around, looking for things to do. The Winchesters do anything but hunt, you say? No way! It's true, though. Even though hunting consumes a majority of their lives, the boys do like to have fun when life slows down for a little while. On this particular day, Dean had found an amusement park for the three of us to enjoy. For the most part, Sam and I were stuck together like glue, but there were a few times when I sat out while the boys went on certain rides (mainly the roller coasters that twisted and turned in weird directions). While they were on one such ride, I was walking around, checking out the games and looking at souvenirs. I played a few games while I waited for the boys to finish their fun, but I didn't win a thing. I never was good at winning anything, really. What happened soon after that can only be explained as a freak accident. I was walking toward the roller coaster I had left the boys at and the next thing I know, I'm face down on the ground, feeling more pain than I had ever felt in my life, and spitting blood. So what happened??? I looked up just long enough to realize I had been run over by an employee golf cart! And would you know the idiot just kept going? It was like he was either oblivious that he had just hit a human being or he was afraid of being identified and immediately fired. I heard people screaming for help, saw one woman running to try and chase the guy down, and several more people just standing around me with looks of horror on their face. One guy pushed everyone aside and identified himself as an EMT. He asked me my name, who I was with, if I knew what day it was, and other simple questions that I answered with ease. Sure it hurt to move, so it hurt to talk, but I needed someone to alert Sam and Dean to what was going on. The next thing I know, I hear them being paged over the intercom system. Mr. EMT, who identified himself as Chris, kept asking me how I felt. I knew he was just doing his job, but damn...I just got run over. How did he think I was feeling? I felt like I was about to pass out from the pain. I was pretty sure I had at least one internal injury. I didn't know just how bad it was at that point in time. I looked around me and realized that the crowd had about tripled since I first got hit. I heard Sam and Dean's voices pleading with the crowd to please let them through. I opened my mouth to urge everyone to let the boys through, but nothing came out. Chris saw me try to speak and asked me if I heard Sam and Dean coming. I weakly nodded my head, and he asked the crowd to please move so Sam and Dean could get to me. The boys ran to my side and immediately started asking what had happened. As Chris was explaining about my being hit by the golf cart, Sam knelt down next to me and laid my head in his lap. "Stay with me, baby," he whispered into my ear right before I finally passed out from the pain. I woke up one day later, lying in a hospital bed, Sam and Dean at my side. Both boys looked as if they had been crying for a while, and I almost asked what was wrong until the pain kicked in again. Oh, right. Hit and run. I finally found the strength to actually get a few words out. "How bad is it?" I was really afraid to hear the answer, but someone was going to have to tell me eventually. Sam grabbed my hand and started tearing up again, so Dean took the wheel. "Surprisingly, your injuries were not too bad, with one exception..." "What is it? My liver? My spine? My leg?" Dean choked back some tears of his own and said, "Your kidneys." "Both of them?" I said in shock. "Are you kidding me??" Dean shook his head. "I wish I were, princess." Great. The jackass managed to hit both of my kidneys. What are the odds? I knew I could live with just one, but no. Seriously, if it weren't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all. I watched a lot of medical shows growing up, so I knew that I would have to be put on a transplant list and it may take a long time to find a match. What was I up against, though? How much time were they giving me? I was afraid to ask, but I knew I had to. "So what's the verdict?" I asked. "How long are they giving me?" "A month, tops," Dean said. Sam put his head down and cried. I didn't know what to do. Accept my fate? Find out if there was any way I could be put on the list as a priority? I knew that wouldn't happen. I closed my eyes and I could feel the tears starting to form. I was never one to give up, but it just seemed like I had no choice. I think Dean could sense what I was feeling because he said, "Sam and I both gave blood. We know it's a long shot, but if one of us is a match, you WILL get a kidney." "I don't know what to say to that," I responded. "You don't have to say anything," Sam finally stopped crying long enough to speak. I started to cry a little, then asked, "How long does it take for them to get the results of the blood?" At that moment, the doctor walked into the room and said, "Since the boys gave us samples as soon as you were brought in, and it has been almost 24 hours, we have the results." Sam and Dean each grabbed one of my hands and we all sat in silence waiting for the doctor's next words. "I have good news," he said. "One of the boys is a perfect match, and we can get you both prepped for surgery as soon as tonight." "So who is the match?" I asked, thinking that it just had to be Sam. The doctor didn't say a word, but turned his head in Dean's direction. "A perfect match you say?" Dean said. "I will leave you three alone for a moment to talk this over," the doctor said. "The sooner we do this, though, the better." With that, he left the room, and I just froze in place. Dean was a perfect match. Who knew? "Dean, you don't have to do this," I told him. "I can have them add me to the transplant list and just pray that it works in my favor." "No," Dean replied. "I WANT to do this. My brother loves you so much, and you're kinda growing on me too. We are doing this, no arguments." Sam got up out of his chair, walked over to his big brother and gave him a big hug. "Thank you, Dean," he said. Dean just smiled and said, "Let's get the doc back in here and get this thing done." Later that night, I woke up and looked over at my roommate Dean, who was sleeping like a baby, and I said, "Thank you for being my hero." Sam walked in at that very moment, smiled at me, then looked at his sleeping brother and said, "You're my hero, too."