Let's Ride, Baby

Driving around in the Impala with Sam and Dean was turning out to be a hilarious adventure. Think about your most favorite vacation memory with your own family, but add in two brothers who are constantly fighting over who gets to choose the music, and you have every trip I've ever taken with the Winchesters. My favorite trip so far happened about a month after my latest demon encounter. We were traveling to Kansas, where the boys were hunting for a shape shifter. Dean locked me in the car and made me promise to lay low, but if anyone tried to hurt his baby (and yes, we ARE talking about the car) I was to kick their ass. "And if anyone tries to hurt Sam's baby, you kick THEIR ass even harder," Dean added with a wink. Yes, he meant me, in case anyone was wondering. Anyway, I laid down across the back seat with my favorite puzzle book and got to work exercising my brain. I would look up periodically, scan the area for any suspicious activity, and then go back to my book. A few hours later, my stomach started to growl. Since I wasn't allowed to leave the car, nor did I want to, Dean always left some snacks in the glove compartment for me. I opened it up and grabbed a pack of fruit pies. When my stomach was satisfied with my food choice, I returned to my book, hoping that the boys would be back soon. I was getting ready to perform another perimeter check when I was startled by a knock on the passenger's side window. I gazed up and was staring right into Sam's big brown eyes...or was I? I was beginning to pick up on a lot of little things from always being on the road with the boys. I smiled and said, "How do I know it's really you? This IS a shape shifter case, isn't it?" Sam proceeded to perform a series of tests to prove that he was the real thing, then replied with "You're learning." I unlocked the door and let him in. He closed the door and re-locked it, then slipped into the back seat with me. Now before y'all go putting your minds in the gutter, this memory is NOT about to become X rated. We have more respect for ourselves (and for Dean's car) than to do things like that in the back seat! Anyway, I gave Sam a sweet smile and a kiss and asked him where his brother had disappeared to. "He said he would catch up with me shortly," Sam said. "He was just finishing up a few minor details of the case." I laid my head on Sam's chest and he wrapped his arms around me. I was really enjoying the sound of his heartbeat...so much that I almost missed the question he had just asked me. "I'm sorry," I said. "What did you say?" "I asked if you miss your family," Sam replied. "How can I miss them when I'm always with them?" I think I confused him, because he looked at me like he didn't know which way was up. I laughed and said, "I consider you and Dean my family now, silly. Family isn't always blood." He smiled that wonderful smile of his that I absolutely adore and pulled me in for a kiss. We got so lost in the moment that we almost didn't hear Dean getting in the car. "No getting freaky allowed in this car," he said. I looked up at him and said, "I'm a lady, not a whore." Dean looked at Sam, who looked at me in bewilderment, probably thinking to himself that he could not believe what he had just heard. I tried to hold my composure, but I failed miserably and started laughing. Dean was still looking at Sam when he said, "She's a feisty one!" Both boys joined me in laughter, and we drove off into the sunset looking for our next wild adventure.