30-What's a Netvor?

Start from the beginning

Draco hefted another rock, and this time it flew through the defenses, and hit a knob at the base. The tree froze, as if Khione the snow goddess had touched it.

"Safe to go in now," Draco reported.

"Where did you say the scream came from?" Annabeth asked.

Draco pointed in one direction, "About ten metres that way. I couldn't find any footprints. But it also sounded more...up there." He pointed skyward. "I'm not sure, because I was down in the Shack."

Annabeth nodded, "Interesting."

We descended into the darkness. A bit of light streamed in, so we could still see a little. It really was deserted. None of us could sense anything, either.

"Hm," Annabeth said.

"What's your guess?" Percy asked.

Annabeth put on her thinking face, "When Dumbledore said that it was starting to get darker earlier than usual, the first name that pops into my mind is Nyx."

"The primordial?" I asked.

Annabeth nodded, "I don't like to talk about her. But she doesn't always stay down at...at Tartarus. She rises from that place every night, spreading a mist of darkness that makes night. Every morning, her daughter Hemera would drive away the mist, letting light shine down again."

I shook my head, "I will never look at nighttime the same way again."

Annabeth closed her eyes for a moment, then opened them, "I suppose one might think that the girl who screamed was Hemera. She could have been using her power of light to protect herself, making the entire place light up. Then Nyx came by, making it all dark. But this also doesn't make any sense. Nyx needs to go back to Tartarus. If she spends too much time with Light-Aether-she'll get weaker."

We all pondered this (even Percy).

"Can you think of anyone else?" Piper asked.

Annabeth shook her head, "Nyx seems the most possible, but at the same time it's also very unlikely. But if it's truly her...defeating her would be the closest thing to impossible, if not completely impossible."

• • •

HARRY'S POV

Ron and I caught up with Hermione after dinner. She paid us no attention and continued to read while walking (she's pro at that).

"Hermione," Ron said, "we need to talk to you."

"Is it urgent?" she asked, eyes never leaving her book.

"A bit, yes."

She still didn't look at us but asked, "What is it?"

"Well," I said, trying to position myself at an angle where she could see me, "we went to the kitchens and--"

Hermione muttered about S.P.E.W.

"--Winky told us that nobody had been to the kitchen except Thalia and Nico."

She looked up this time, eyes narrowing, "And what are you saying?"

Her brown eyes scared me a little, so I said something other than what I was going to say, "So...so that means the person who killed Lavender can Transfigure knives."

Hermione actually looked impressed, "Oh! That would help. I looked at both knives by the way. There weren't any brand names or a 'Made in China' or anything, so they must have been Transfigured or from the kitchens. Both knives were extremely sharp. This proves that this person's really skilled at magic. I should have thought of asking the house elves. Thanks, you two."