Chapter 33 - Commence

Start from the beginning

"Before ya go can you help me with something?" She asked while she organized her counters.

"Sure, what is it?" I questioned simply, standing up from my seat.

"I need some help liftin' some boxes in the back. I got a shipment of graham crackers today and Micheal ain't arrived yet." She explained, still a little preoccupied. A curious look popped onto my face.

"Oh, right, Micheal works here in the back room. He organizes all of our ingredients and lifts heavy things for me." She answered, knowing what I was curious about.

I followed her into the back room and began stacking the boxes of graham crackers where they belonged. Great, working before I even officially start my job.

"What do you use all of these crackers for?" I questioned as I lifted one of the heavy boxes.

"I crush them up and use them in my pastries, like the crust o' my pie fo' example." She explained. That would explain why it reminded me so much of Christmas cookies.

"By the way, don't worry, this'll all be added to yo' paycheck." She assured, putting all of my earlier concerns to rest, even though I still would've gladly helped her for free.

I barely made it to the bus stop in time after coming from the diner. That was a crap ton of graham crackers! Her pastries must be popular if she needs that much. I guess I'd see soon enough since I start work tomorrow.

"Hey!" Alayne called as I entered the school. I looked around trying to spot her voice and saw her making her way over to me from the hall.

"Hey." I greeted back with a smile. She seemed as her usual peppy self.

"I'm taking you to my house after school." She suddenly announced.

"Okay, but why?" I asked suspicious, raising a brow at her.

"We're going over the plan." She whispered. I mentally groaned, remembering her proposal to help me get Theo. I still didn't think this was the best idea.

"Alright." I sighed. After our conversation I headed off to my locker with her following behind. I got all of my things then headed to homeroom. Once it was over I was off to my first class being history. We got a mean substitute teacher who was taking over for the next few days and she practically insulted everyone in the class by the time it got out. She kept on mocking my lack of intelligence when I got one question wrong, one freaking question! She shamed me through class, and even though the others were shamed along side me they'd make it a priority to laugh at me. I felt so embarrassed, I hung my head in shame. Hmph, I'm probably smarter than most people in this classroom.

School went on then lunch eventually rolled around. Alayne caught up with me and we made our way to the cafeteria. I dreaded getting in line but it was the only way to get food so I had no choice. Alayne stood right behind me, playing with the tray in her hand. I lit up when I saw Theo enter through the door. I would've called out to him, but I didn't want to gain too much attention.