Chapter Twenty

The wind courses through the silver threads of my hair, twisted into a loose braid at the nape of my neck. The feeling is like nothing I've ever felt before. I am duvarne, as Allerians say: free. Faranel moves swiftly beneath me, obeying every tug and tip of my heel against his side. He is quiet as he moves in the wind, only to whinny when the clouds are upon us.

"Gentle, Faranel, "I stroke his neck to soothe him. "Adarth, Faranel."

He slows and his breath calms a little and things steady for us. I look out beyond the clouds as they clear a path for us in the sky, parting silently. Then I see it and everything inside me shatters. The tower has fallen. Smoke rises. And so Bardhelm falls.

~.~.~.~

"I asked for leave the moment I saw it," his arms are around me in an instant, letting me sink into him. "I saw the smoke," he tells me, "I do not think Redermarke would have been harmed, Skaya. He resides far from the tower, does he not?"

I nod but don't pull away from him, fearing I might crumble if I do. "I'm scared, Alec. I swore I would never feel pain for him, forgive him for his crimes against us, kingdom and blood...but..." I break into sobs. He holds me, sways me in his arms as the grey smoke havens envelope us. We choke on the ash. It tastes bitter, like death. If death is upon them. My heart quickens.

~.~.~.~

"Ill news has reached me here," uncle announces to the people of Alleria, who gather in the courtyard, silken robes draped over their creamy shoulders, "of the fall of Bardhelm. The tower has fallen and it's people with it." He casts a grave look to me. His eyes are kind and for a moment, I see myself in them—the empathy. "I will send for aid as soon as the smoke clears. We will gather the survivors and offer them a place in our hall. Such is the response we must give in these dark times, for our friends may one day become our foes."

And with that, the crowd disperses in a muttering, panicked flurry. I linger. Uncle catches sight of me.

"A moment, my dear Skaya."

I follow him up into the throne room, where he pushes the doors wide open and throws himself on his throne with a loud sigh. He presses a finger to his temple. "It does not please me to see Bardhelm fall, even our past quarrels considered."

I nod and swallow. Silent still.

"He is your family and, somewhat regrettably, Gweyntarr is also mine. My son in-law holds her dear, though her actions were cruel and disheartening, even to a king. She was a troubled a child, always seeking the attentions she felt she did not receive." He tells me. "She tried to win my favour long ago, but lost all hope of finding it after she stole from my library when she was only small. Duhamas saved her, as he always does. But this," he gestures to the smoke that has turned the pale blue black as night, "he could not protect her from, even with all his sums of love."

"And what of mine?" is all I think about. "And what of my love for my brother? Could I have protected him from this?"

I feel a familiar presence then. I turn and meet her eyes.

"Father," she calls into the hall, her hood lowered to her shoulders, "I swear on all that the Light touches, I did not see it." She looks to me. "I did not. I swear to you, my sister. I saw nothing of it."

I narrow my eyes, "You saw much." I spit the words out like poison. "You saw death and ruin. You saw and you said nothing. They should have been warned!"

She steps forward and I fall back, almost tripping over the broken slab of marble leaning against the pillar.

"What have you now to say, Seer?" I hiss. "What words can possibly save you?"

She lowers herself, her eyes and her voice when she speaks. "I cannot deny your pain, Skaya. What you feel is real. What you saw was real. What I saw was only a projection. The future can always change." She says. "I saw death, yes and ruin: true, but I did not see what would become of Bardhelm. This I swear is true."

I bite my lip till I feel the blood flow. Tears spring into my eyes. I feel a fire burn inside me, urge me on, to fight. The clinking of metal fills the room and bounces off the walls.

"My King," the guard speaks firmly, tossing a glance to Faeore and I for a brief moment, "we have received word from an outlander, a woman."

"A woman, you say?"

The guard nods, "Aye, My Lord. She says she comes on behalf of all those who have been wronged by Renharlow. Wayland Renharlow."

"What name does she bear, Gredan?"

The man stops for a moment and rests a hand on the hilt of his sword. "de Susa." He says. "Lady Raven de Susa...Captain rather."

A word tickles my tongue, but a set of lips beat me to it. Alec's.

"Pirates!"

Uncle rises from his throne and thrusts his cloak back, his silver breastplate glistening in the light. "Ready the archers!" he exclaims in a booming voice. "We will have visitors on our shores before long!"

Alec exchanges a glance with me, before his hand falls on my shoulder. He squeezes gently.

Be careful, I say silently.

"Always am," he grins, before pulling his hood up over his head and marching out the door. "Archers, with me!" he commands the others and the sound of marching feet follow him. I look to Faeore.

But something tugs on me harder.

"Jasmine," I whisper and I bolt down the stairs via the northern doorway and head straight for her chambers.