Chapter Eighteen

A thick gloom blankets the skies as I look up and see bodies of steeds floating overhead. The riders are growing bolder these days, venturing higher into the clouds, nearing the sun as if tempting it to burn them. Alec has been gone three days, minding the watch, guarding the shores since the enchantment wore off. I think of Redermarke some days, when the streams cascading down the boulders are quiet and stimulating but not distracting. The Sapphire Tree guards me as I sit with my thoughts in daylight. I look across to Bardhelm and my heart tugs. The life I had known lies before me, a boat ride away. It calls to me still, as anything easily could, and yet I know I can never leave this place. I don't think I ever could.

I rush through the crowds and into the stables where Faranel waits, kicking the hay stacks with his hooves. He whinnies to greet me and I slip my hands around his thick trunk of a neck and embrace him.

"Hello, Faranel." I sigh into the warmth of his soft neck. "I am ever so lonely here. There is nothing to do when Alec is out guarding the wall." I smile. "He is no coward, Faranel. Not anymore. You were beside him in battle, you saw him fight. He is your master, too."

I mount in one swift action, my cloak fanning out behind me as the wind rolls in the doors. I push him on and with a speed quicker than thought, we bolt out the doors and the sky is ours.