Chapter Six

I find her sleeping in my bed, moaning and sobbing in her sleep. I don't want to wake her, but she can't hide here forever. They will find her, and surely they will find a way to make her suffer, to silence her once and for all. I sit on the edge of the bed and very gently, rouse her from her sleep. I cover her mouth with my hand, afraid that she'll scream again.

She scrambles in the sheets when she opens her eyes and a pang of guilt slices my chest.

'I apologise,' I whisper, resting a hand on her shoulder, 'I did not mean to startle you.'

Her eyes are wet. 'Where is my husband?' she asks me in a panic, her face pale. I tighten my grip on her shoulder, trying to steady her, but it's no use.

'I do not know,' I reply, 'But I suspect he is spending the night in the dungeons with the other prisoners.' I try to sound optimistic, but even I'm having a hard time believing it. 'After our incident in the hall, I hear the King has postponed his execution for a few days. That will buy you some time.'

A little smile curls her lips. 'Thank you,' she says, 'No-one has ever defended me like that before. Where I come from, the people are cruel, with intentions darker than the blackest coal.' She coughs violently, her hoarse cries echoing. I hush her and remind her that we have ears listening.

'Katan is a cruel land,' I slip out. It sounds more like a question than a statement.

She nods, 'Yes. My husband and I fled when we were attacked. Wayland had enemies, as any man, but his were cold to the bone. They wanted him to pay for the things he had done.' She stops and breaks down a little. 'And I know not what he has done to have us kneeling before your kin, begging for our lives. No matter where we turn, death always threatens us.' Her hand falls onto her plumb belly and my heart sinks.

I swallow and open my mouth to speak some words of encouragement, but the ice in her eyes stops me short.

'Death is not so kind to mortals,' she snaps, 'at least your life is left securely in the hands of your King!' she says it with malice, and why shouldn't she? Uncle has done the unthinkable, even more so now that the woman is with child. And he knew!

'I am sorry,' I tell her in a softer voice, trying hard to mend what I know can never be fixed. The damage has already been done. Perhaps now would be the time to end it, before she tries to end us.

'Save it,' she scoffs, turning her head away from me in one swift whip of her hair. 'And what of your 'usband? Does he know what you're doin', keepin' me here?' she looks at the walls, marvelling at them.

I smile a little and sigh, admiring the room too for some strange reason. I never noticed it before, but there is a small insignia on the corner by the Erenflowers that curl in through the window. A small moon encircled by a ring of silver. Curious, a stare a moment longer, before I snap back to the woman's question.

'I dare say he does,' I reply, 'No doubt he is unhappy with my actions earlier. He serves the king, and it seems he does so now without question; without a breath of hesitation.'

The woman frowns, 'And that surprises you?'

I nod, 'Indeed. There was once a time when he would fight for the good of those who could not fight for themselves, people like you.'

She sighs and pulls the sheets tighter around herself, hiding her trembling. 'And now he seems to be putting them to death.'

Fear shoots through my chest, sending its electric fingers crawling up my arm without mercy. 'I fear it may be true...and there is nothing I can do to persuade him otherwise.' A tear rakes down my cheek and stings my skin. I bite my lip and turn to her again and ask, 'What is your name? Surely naming customs in Katan vary from ours.'

She smiles a little and says, 'Yes, you could say that. My name is Jasmine, Jasmine Renharlow. Wayland is my husband.'