Chapter Sixteen: An Account By Gweyntarr Al'Taine

I only saw him once. But in that single second I knew what love was, what it could be. I wondered if I could have it with him, someone so fixed on greed. But were we so different? I suppose not. He was training one day, his sword clashing against the trunk of an enduring tree, one that had suffered much at the hand of the swordsman before him. I pitied it, but only for a moment. I lowered my hood and met his eyes. He dropped his sword.

"Good day to you, my lady." He greeted me with a charming smile. Charming fool.

"May the Light shine on you this day,"

His lips quivered then. He looked from side to side, over his shoulder: "Allerian?"

"Your observations skills betray your features, Mr. Ivorian," I teased him. He laughed at that; a good laugh too; hearty, genuine. "Pity your sword is in the dirt," I said, "I thought it was rather pretty."

His face lit up. "R-really?" he bent down and picked it up, dusting it off on his sleeve. "I've been training with it since I was a boy. The Master Swordsman has been teaching me how to use it. My sister has one like it, just hers is silver."

My eyes widened then. "You have a sister?"

He nodded, "Her name is Skaya. Should you ever meet her, know this: she has a fiery tongue. Beware if I were you."

"I do hope I never meet her, then." I laughed, letting my hair fall against my cheek, painting the sky white. I turned my back.

"Wait!" he called out to me, his arm outstretched and his eyes full of hope. "Will you not tell me your name?"

I smiled, "Gweyntarr. Gweyntarr Al'Taine."

He chuckled, "And will you think of my often, Gweyntarr?"

I giggled and held a finger to my lips as I pouted. "I fear I shall never stop, mister...?"

"Redermarke," he replied, "Redermarke Dunedine."

I bit my lip as a warmth spread through me. I never knew Meyn could be so attractive. "A fine name. And will I be seeing you again, Mr. Redermarke?"

He stepped forward and eagerly took my hand. He turned it over and kissed the inside of my palm. "I do pray so, my lady."