Chapter 21: ...Akashi-kun?

Beginne am Anfang

After Akashi was done drinking his latté, he finally spoke, "How is your team doing?" he asked. 'For goodness sake, is that all he wanted to ask!?' "My team has a name, you know. It's Seirin," she corrected.

"You're not interested in someone over there, are you?" he said in a serious tone, "Wow. That's so hilarious, I nearly choked," she said sarcastically, "And no, I don't. Why are you even asking me this?"

"No particular reason," he replied. "Jeez... Did you really force me to spend time with you just to ask things like that?" she said irritably. "Not exactly," he said, his mismatched eyes peering into her orange ones. He held her soft hands, making Egao confused, "Egao, do you hate me?"

Her eyes widened, 'Now that you said it like that, it's hard to tell now, jeez... what the hell is he thinking!?! This idiot!' she thought, but she knew the answer to his question. "Yes," she said.

She kept her eyes on him, "I knew that you dislike like me, but not hate," she was clueless at this point, "If you truly hate me you wouldn't have followed me, if you hate me, you would not talk to me," her eyes widened a bit, he caught her completely off guard. "Are you still trying to lie to yourself?" She couldn't answer him, she couldn't find the right words to counter what he just said, and further more... she was surprised by how gentle Akashi can be-maybe he can indeed... in rare opportunities, but because of that, the red haired male only made her more confused about him now.

"Okay, I am. I'm a liar," Egao admitted, "but are you brave enough to tell me that you are one too?" she lowered her head while clenching her fists on top of the table. "Remember the time when you said, you'll always be right there? Where have you been?!" she unintentionally raised her voice a bit, causing two or three people to turn their way. She stood up and bowed, "I'm sorry, I'll be taking my leave."

Akashi refused to look at Egao as she made her way out of the store. He sat there, remembering the day when he made his promise.

> flashback <

"Hey... Seiji..." Egao muttered sadly, "Can you promise me that you'll always be there?" She clutched her fists. "Why are you thinking like that? I'm not going anywhere," Akashi told her.

She remembered Megumi telling her about what Midorima had noticed with Akashi's personality for the past few days, in fact, she also noticed it herself.

"No particular reason, it's just that you're always beside me... I enjoy being with you and I treasure our friendship a lot... So... if it's okay with you, I want us to be with each other as long as possible," he lifted her chin up, "Hey... why are you crying? Stop that, it doesn't look good on you," he smiled softly, "Don't worry, I promise, I'll always be with you, I'll always be there when you need me, Okay?" Egao smiled, "Okay."

Egao always depended on the reliable Akashi, she was relieved when he promised her that, but she still can't help but feel scared.

Days passed and she can feel him changing, the anxiety made Egao sleepless, it's as if his words were not enough.

Akashi started ignoring her, at first, she didn't really mind, she thought he was only having a bad day. Akashi also doesn't greet her anymore and he ignores when she does, but she thought that maybe he just wasn't in the mood. Egao told to herself a lot of other lame excuses to why Akashi is not behaving how he usually does.