My mom smiles tightly not listening to my compliment. "Enlighten me anyways."

"It's uh..." I take a second to think about but nothing is coming to mind. "My... imaginary friends?" It was the first thing that came to mind. Yeah Mia, way to go the idiot in the closet is going to get a kick out of this. You will never live this down.  So great, why don't we go with that to kill any positive reputation you ever had.

"Mia, come over here and sit down." My mom says sighing and motioning me toward the bed. "A mother knows best, and I want you to listen to what I have to say."

Yes the signature, a mother knows best. Every time my mom wants to give me some sort of inevitable lecture, she starts with her signature phrase and goes on this huge tangent.

I know she started saying this ever since she saw the movie Tangled.  She expects me and dad to let her go on thinking like she's the one who made it up but we all know she got it from a movie. 

"Kelly doesn't exist." She says after a thoughtful moment. "'And I need you to start believing that. I know you think she exists and your father and I let it go because, well face it, you are an awkward kid and..."

And there she does on her tangent.

So before I had the girls in my life, I had Kelly. Kelly's been with me since junior year of High School and well I mean you already know my life is kind of depressing. But she was my friend--imaginary-- but my friend nonetheless.

"...I know you love your imaginary friend but, they just don't exist." My mom continues. "I mean you're almost eighteen years old. You're about to graduate in a few months. It's high time you understood that."

It's the twenty first century mother. No body uses the phrase high time.

Nobody has an imaginary friend past the age of five either. My subconscious spat out.

"Mia? Are you listening?" My mother interrupted my train of thought.

"Yeah mom." I give her tight smile. "No Kelly. Gotcha."

She nods and smiles at me. She gets off the bed and walks toward the door. "Remember Mia, a mother knows best." And she closes the door behind her.

I breathed in a huge sigh of relief.

"Kelly?!" Laughter echoed from the closet. 

Right, that thing is still here.

"That's... That's...Fucking priceless!"

Of course he'd bask in my humiliation and find hilarity in it.

"Jason!" I growl at him. "It's because of your loud obnoxious mouth she came up here in the first place!" I whisper. "Be quiet!"

"Yeah Mi. Okay." He chuckles. "No need to be dramatic about it."

My left eye begins to twitch uncontrollably. "Dramatic? Did you see what that oaf of a woman did just now? Did you not hear the whole ''mother knows best,' thing she does?" I heave. "Everyone single time!"

Jason looks at me in utter shock for moment. "See?" He questions. "Dramatic."

I narrow my eyes at him. "Get out of my house McCoy."

"Still so cute Mi. One could even call you adorable."  He says coming closer to pinch my cheeks. 

I made a face at him shoving him away. "I can't put my finger on it. But for some reason you sound like a pedophile when you say that." I tell him thoughtfully. "I wonder if that's how your lady friends feel?" I say pondering for a moment. "It's something you should think about."