"And why might that be, was it because you like our little frie..." but Amber was cut off by Daniel.

"So... how have you been, Anabell. We haven't seen you in like a month," Daniel replied quickly to get off the subject of what I tried to bring up.

But Anabell wouldn't let it go. She replied, questioning both me and Daniel,"Wait, what were you trying to say Amber. What about our little friend and him. I am so confused right now."

I turned to Daniel smiling, "Why don't you tell her, Daniel. I'm sure your dying to let it out."

"Whatever, i'll be out here when your ready Amber." With that, Daniel left the room, leaving the girls by themselves.

"What the crap was that about. Why is he with you. And what were you talking about that he tried so hard to cover up," Anabell said trying to catch up on what she had missed out on.

My reply came as a question of my own. "Don't you ever wonder why he has picked on you so much?"

"Well, yeah I guess. But now I just wish he would go away."

"Really? After I tell you, maybe you'll change you mind," I said with a huge grin on my face.

Thinking I was just smiling like a total idiot she replied, "I doubt that and tell me what?"

"Ok, I'll tell you but if anyone asks, it wasn't me who told you. Daniel is with me because he has been dying to see you. The day you passed out in gym, he caught you. I didn't know why until he admitted he liked you. That's why he is like that. He tried to cover it up because he is a big fat chicken. Emphasize on the FAT part..."

By this time Anabell was lost in thought, 'I knew it was him when I fell. That is why I saw his face. Damn you Daniel. Why me of all the people out there. If he thinks he can just forget what has happened since sixth grade, he is mistaken.'

Coming back to Earth, Anabell heard my question clearly. "Anabell, what is going on? Why have you been in the hospital for a month? I need to know."

Knowing there was no easy way to say this, Anabell told me everything. "I passed out because I am sick, which you know. But... wow, this is hard to say..."

"Just say it, Anabell. I can handle it."

"Amber, I have cancer. Leukemia actually. It is so bad that I don't have a very high chance to live more than a year."

"What?!? No! Not you. No...it... no..." Then, without warning, I ran out of the room with warm tears running down the sides of my face.

Anabell's P.O.V.

All of the sudden, Daniel rushed in, "What did you say to Amber? She is crying her eyes out and wouldn't tell me anything."

Knowing I wouldn't be able to tell Daniel too, I said "When Amber calms down, she will tell you everything. I just can't go through it again."

"Oh... ok. Well, did she say anything about me and..." he trailed off, not finishing the sentence.

"Yeah, I know. But I want to say thanks for what happened in gym."

"Yup, anytime." Getting a little nervous, Daniel said, "I got to go. I'll see you the next time we come to visit, I guess."

"Bye, Daniel. And could you tell Amber I'm sorry?"

"Yeah, sure."

With that, Daniel left the room leaving me in tears. I hated to see my best friend like that. I hated the fact that I couldn't go anywhere. I hated Daniel for liking me. And most of all, I hated this leukemia. The last thing I had on my mind before sleep overtook me was, 'Why Me?'

---------------------------------------------

Amber's P.O.V.

The ride home from the hospital was very quite. My mom didn't dare ask what had happened for fear of upsetting me again. Daniel and I sat in the back, where he comforted me. When I was finally able to talk again, I knew I had to tell him. I was positive Anabell couldn't have had the courage to tell Daniel. Knowing it would have to be me, I told him the whole story.

"Daniel, Anabell has leukemia. She said that there was little chance of her surviving for more than a year. That is why she isn't allowed to leave the hospital. That is why she passed out in gym. You may not have noticed it with the hat she had on, but Anabell has no hair. Sorry I had to be the one to tell you. If I could change this I would and you know it," I told him sniffing and trying to clear the tears but there was so many I just gave up.

Awestruck at the response he had just gotten from me, Daniel was frozen.

"Did I hear you right?" She has leukemia?" he asked.

My look must have answered the question for him because he just turned and stared out the window.

By now we had gotten to Daniel's house. He got out of the car and walked up the driveway. Pulling away, I could see the tears slowly rolling off his face. The only thought going through my mind at the time was, 'Why Anabell?'