Chapter Four - Wrath

He was hurt - badly. Everything in her screamed to run, run to Daddy and hide behind him for safety. Rational thinking told her that was just his hold over her, but the puppy in her wanted her father. Rowynn had never been this conflicted.

"I have to save him," she whispered.

It was still taking her a while to comprehend that second little soul inside of her. Her wolf had finally come out, and that meant that in time she would shift – though she knew she had passed that phase long ago. It would be a miracle if she learnt how to shift, knowing her body may not be able to take it. She wasn't a pup anymore - her bones were fully formed and shifting would leave her with permanent damage.

She sighed heavily as she knelt beside the human. He looked so peaceful as he slept – so soft and harmless. It was hard to believe that just moments ago he had wanted to rip her throat out. Even if she just wanted to run away, she was going to help him. She couldn't just leave him out here for her father's scouts to find and rip apart.

She couldn't move him on her own. Her father had a little cabin East of their land where her mother used to take her brothers and sisters and her to play, away from the pack. Her mother thought it would help them grow closer. Her and Raine still ventured there from time to time. It was safe because no one ever went there – especially their father.

Raine... She could trust her brother with anything. Whenever she was in big trouble, he was there to help her. Rowynn needed him now, to help her with this problem she had somehow stumbled into.

She had to stop making this a habit.

"Raine! Can you hear me?" she cried out. Her head was empty of voices, and she couldn't feel her brother. "Raine, I need you!" her cries became more desperate, as if at any given moment her very life would be sucked right out of her.

That last desperate cry seemed to have gotten through to her brother as a flash of white sprinted past her and was growling viciously over the unconscious man. Rowynn's blue eyes widened and it took a moment for her to realize Raine thought she was in danger. She rushed over to the man on the ground and stuck her hand out to gently shove Raine away.

"Raine, it's okay! He's not dangerous!" She tried to believe that, but in all honesty, she didn't know how dangerous this human really was.

In his wolf form, her brother was a ferocious beast – totally opposite to what his personality was like in his human form.

"He did that to you, didn't he?" Raine growled as his wolf connected with hers.

This wasn't how it was supposed to go. Before Rowynn could really think about her actions, her whole body was sprawled over the man and Raine had only seconds to stop himself before he ended up biting her face off. His only option was to growl and back away.

Rowynn hated when Raine shifted – he became an animal, and that reminded her of their father. If by some miracle she shifted, she would never do it again. She didn't want to be like that.

The bruises on her neck were evidence enough for Raine to make his judgement. "That's a human, Rowynn. What have you done?" he growled out as he paced back and forth like a caged animal.

She frowned and placed both of her hands on the man's chest. "I haven't done anything. Why are you and Dad and Liam always accusing me?" she snapped, eyes narrowed in annoyance.

Raine was taken aback. Never in her life had she ever snapped at him, but perhaps that was her newly found wolf talking. Maybe it had more guts than she ever would.

Raine looked confused after his initial shock. He continued to pace back and forth, as if contemplating what to do, and then suddenly stopped as he sniffed the air. His whole body turned to the side, and as of that moment Rowynn was petrified with what she, too, sniffed out.