The interview : where it all started

Start from the beginning

"Yes of course sweetheart. But only if you have something for breakfast. I don't want your tummy to grumble in front of Zayn," she says.

Mr. Malik. Shit! It hits me that he will be personally taking my interview after the two rounds of interviews with the HR department. That is so scary. What if I say something that I am not supposed to?

"Relax Leigh-Anna and eat your breakfast." Sara pushes the plate of apple pie towards me. She has to be a mommy all the time. I kinda love that about her.

I get into my Chevy, re-checking whether I have all the things needed. When I am satisfied, I look out of the window and wave to Sara.

"Luck to you chunks." Where does she get all those names from? I wonder how she manages to search the words in her dictionary. Sara probably has her own set.

I drive carefully on the road with my hand tapping the steering wheel out of nervousness. God Leigh-Anna. It's just an interview. Be cool. I keep telling myself. When I reach the front of the building, a man dressed in a black suit comes and opens the door. I hand him my keys after I get my stuff out and he returns a token with the number 26. Valet parking? Cool.

I enter the building and go directly to the reception. The floors are all ceramic and the ambiance is just perfect. A blond girl in her twenties greets me with a smile.

"Umm... I have come for an interview that was arranged yesterday," I speak up with all my confidence.

"Your name please?" she asks in a husky voice and then smiles.

"Leigh-Anna Walter," I blurt out and then smile back.

"This way dear. You need to go into that room. Mr. Clarkson is waiting for you. Your first round of interview," she says politely, gesturing towards a room. I nod and thank her.

I knock the door of the room which says MR. CLARKSON (HR CONSULTANT) and take a deep breath before entering. I am welcomed by three people sitting right in the center of the room. Two men with spectacles around their fifties and one blond lady around her late thirties. The lady looks rather cunning and the two men have a gentle expression on their face. Leigh-Anna, stop judging people. My sub-conscious frowns at me. I wonder who among the two men 'Mr. Clarkson' is.

"Hello," I utter in a faint voice and give a short smile. The man sitting in the middle nods while the other smiles. The lady, however, greets me politely and asks me to sit down. See, I told you do not judge people. My sub-conscious is smirking at me.

First off, I am so scared that these three people are going to take my interview. Second, who the hell is Mr. Clarkson? Third, what are they going to ask me? I keep tapping my foot. Thank God there is a rug down so they can't hear or see it. I gulp, trying to breathe in and out as much as I can. This is it.

After what feels like ages, they finally start asking me things and I, like an obedient child keep answering them.

"You can wait outside till we call you Miss Walter," Mr. Clarkson speaks. Yes, I have finally figured out who he is. I smile and walk out of the door and wait outside in the lounge.

Five minutes and the lady comes out. I stand up and look at her hoping to get some positive reply.

"Congratulations Miss Walter, you are through. We're skipping the second round and you will have your appointment with Mr. Malik now. You can wait in the waiting room till someone comes to escort you."

She escorts me towards another door and leaves me inside to wait till I am hopefully escorted to Mr. Malik's office for the final interview.

After five minutes, I am taken to the forty-fifth floor by a man dressed in blazers bearing looks like a sharpshooter. The elevator dings and the doors open.