zero - prologue

"Sam Zayne?" Ms. Jean called out. I looked at her lazily and gave her a small nod. "Mr. Williams wants to see you in his office. Now." She demanded. I nodded my head and head out of the class.

I wonder why the principal needs to see me.

I purposely walked to the principal's office slowly and when I got there and walked inside. I see two officers sitting on the principal's couch talking to him. I cleared my throat and the three of them looked my way. "Ah, is this Sam?" Asked one of the officers. The principal nods his head and mentions for me to come sit next to him. I did as told.

"Well, kid... I'm so sorry for your loss and you might not want to do this but we want you to sign these." Said the brunette officer as he places down a paper on the table. I looked at it closely and saw that it was some paper about... I don't know.

Some police-y paper?

"What is this for?" I asked.

"It's for you to sign whether you want to stay with a close relative or you want to go to the orphanage. You need to have a legal guardian, you know." The principal explained but I still don't understand.

"I still don't get it. Why would I want to sign it?" I asked, getting irritated, actually wanting to get back to the class.

Both officers looked at each other uneasily. "Did anyone not informed you yet?" Asked the brunette officer. I shook my head no.

"Your parents died in a car crash this morning."