Chapter Four

I couldn't help but gasp when I saw Rachel. How anyone could do this to someone was beyond belief. She was bruised, battered and bloody. Her small body looked minuscule in comparison to the hospital bed she was laid in. Numerous wires, machines and needles ran everywhere.

I had woken this morning and decided to push last night from my mind and just get on with my day. I had gone through my normal morning of walking salem and going to the gym and now here I was at the private clinic where Rachel was being looked after.

I kept asking myself the same question, how could this have happened? I still couldn't wrap my mind around it. Our guards were vetted, they were trained for every possible situation and they were paid huge amounts to ensure our safety... after all we made Daniel's money, he had to make sure we were well looked after. We were his inventory, if we were hurt, he lost out on money.

Daniel HATED losing out money.

I made my way closer to her hospital bed and placed the flowers I had brought on a small table to her right. I then sat in the guest chair and watched her sleep.

A little while later I suddenly heard her groan and I was on my feet instantly.

"Rachel?" I asked tentatively.

"E-Elle?" She croaked out, giving me a look of confusion.

"Hey, you need anything?"

"Can you lift my bed please with the button and fetch me some water?" Her voice was raspy and it was difficult to make out what she was saying, but I caught on eventually.

I slowly lifted the bed so she was sitting up and then went over to the small water machine to fill up a cup and get a straw. I fed her the water and put down the cup when she'd had enough.

"Not to be rude Elle, but your the last person I expected to be here when I woke up." She stated, her voice less croaky after the water had soothed her throat.

"I know but when I heard, I don't know. I just wanted to check on you. I wanted to find out how this happened and to make sure you were okay." I admitted.

"You wanted to check on me? Thee Elle Dominic wanted to check on little me? I'm honoured. I bet none of the other girls would get the same courtesy." She laughed before clutching her side in pain.

"No they wouldn't. They're bitches and if they got themselves in the same situation, it would have been because of their big mouths, I know that couldn't have happened to you."

"Do you always have to be so harsh?" She questioned softly.

"Yes, I do but truthfully if this did happen to one of the other girls, I would make sure they were okay, no matter how much I hate them." I admitted simply. "Enough of that anyway, what happened? I mean... Shit, you look fucking awful."

"Thanks for that Elle, I'm sorry that I aren't more appealing. I'll make sure next time someone beats me nearly to death that I tell them to avoid the face." She spat and I cursed myself for being so insensitive.

I wasn't good with these situations, I wasn't good at finding the correct words or the right emotions. I was either angry or neutral, every other emotion kind of blended together and I always did or said the wrong things.

"I'm sorry, that didn't come out right. I just, can you tell me what happened? Please?"

She sighed before a she laid her head back against the white pillow and a tear leaked from her eye.

"I was-" She started before the door to the room opened and Daniel glided in looking casual in his black shirt and washed out jeans.

He stopped abruptly when he saw me, most likely shocked I was here, but quickly composed himself and made his way over to Rachel's bedside.