Chapter 19: Zoey

Paisley had been acting totally weird these past couple of weeks. She had not stirred up any trouble. Kade had been spending time with her and I know that she's going to be our luna soon. I don't know but my opinion on her has changed. Just before the attack I had seen her talking to someone. The other person was too far away to see. He was practically hidden by the trees.

A light bulb went on in my head. Like how they show in cartoons as an idea comes to mind. Maybe. No that's not possible. She wouldn't. She's his mate. I bit my lip as I thought about it. There was no way I could tell Kade about it. He wouldn't even believe me in the first place.

That was his mate. And as a future luna it was her role as the mother of the pack to look after her pack mates. But she didn't even show remorse on her face after the attack. My curiosity got the better of me and I decided to go and check her room.

Right now it was a difficult task. I cursed the werewolf enhance sense of smell. She would be able to detect me. But I can still steer myself out of trouble. A smile graced my lips as I walked upstairs with purpose. Julia was out with her mate and she deserved it. She had been the best best friend I could ever ask for.

Outside Paisley's door I listened for sometime but found nothing. I just hoped she wasn't in the shower. I didn't want to get caught. My palms began sweating but I was determined to do it. Even my wolf was telling me that Paisley was doing something suspicious. And my wolf never lies. Especially not about someone important.

Sending a quick prayer I opened the door and stepped inside before I changed my mind. Her room was sort of neat but only with a few thing scattered about on the table. I sniffed around the air to smell something unusual. It was just Paisley's smell mostly; like lemon tart.

I know it's a weird way to describe it but that's what I smelt. I started my search from her bed. Whenever I wanted to hide something I would usually do so by placing it under the pillow or mattress where there was a less chance of someone finding it. I checked the bed. Nothing.

Then I went to the table and searched through her books. I was looking through one of the books when I found something sticking out. Perhaps a bookmark? I would had paid no heed if my wolf wasn't growling in my head. She was antsy which was a rarety in itself. Usually she was the calm one.

Opening the book I found the thing I was looking for. It wasn't a bookmark. If someone else was here doing the same thing that persob would have paid no heed. It was placed such that no one could even think there was no bookmark. Clever. Picking it up I examined it my face twitching in annoyance. So this was why Paisley was making her own drinks.

This was why she wouldn't drink the drink I made. Not because she didn't liked my cooking but because she wanted to have her own drink. Geez. She was really starting to piss me off. And Kade was spending more time with her too. It made me happy and irked at the same time.

Happy because he was giving his mate a chance unlike old me. And irked because he was being played by. He might not be a good person but he was a better Alpha. Much better than my old pack. He actually made time for his own members to listen to their problems instead of sending his beta to do the job. And the most important thing? He saved me from getting abused.

There must be something else. There must be more of these packets somewhere here. What I was holding was a herb used to immitate the smell of one's mate. That when you stopped using it your smell returns to normal. So there was no way that Paisley would have only one of these herbs in her room.

Searching through her room I found a packet of those same herbs hidden in a drawer. I scoffed. Who hides it in such an easy place? She must not be a good detective. I decided to let them be where they were. In case I needed to show Kade something as evidence.

Now the one thing that was stopping me was going to Kade and telling him about it. I mean he thought Paisley was his mate. He would never believe me. And why should he? I mean who was I? A pathetic member who hadn't even found her mate.

I shook away the dark thoughts. When I came here I pledged myself that I would not remnisced about my past. I needed to be strong and I needed to do this alone. I couldn't drag Julia into this. Knowing her she wouldn't even go to Kade.

Julia would straight away march to Paisley and challenge her. I didn't want my best friend and future luna fighting together. All because of me. No. I needed to do this alone. I needed to keep a clear head.

You can do this Zoey, I gave a pep talk to myself.

Before I could change my mind I walked quickly to Kade's office and knocked.

"Enter," Kade called.

There was no going back now. I had to do this. If I thought about the safety of the pack first. Taking another deep breath I opened the door and stepped inside. Kade's beta, Chris was sitting beside him. Both of them seemed to be working.

"Did I disturb you? I will come another time," I said, trying not to show any nervousness.
"I have plenty of time," Kade scrutinized me from his desk.

His instense gaze made me want to squirm in my spot. My eyes went to Chris and back to Kade.

"Can I talk to you alone?" I asked.
"Chris get out," Kade said, not moving his gaze away from me.
"That's no way to talk to your best friend," Chris pouted before leaving the office.
"Come sit," Kade said
"I am fine here," I said.
"I said sit," his gaze turned more intense.

I walked forward clutching the herb tightly in my hand and sat down at the edge of the seat.

"Now what is it you wanted to talk about?" He asked.
"Paisley."

Uh oh. Things are getting spicy! Will Kade believe Zoey? Or will he take Paisley's side? What is Paisley upto?

Please vote and comment. Your feedback is much appreciated!🤗❤

Chocolate-Lover93