21 - You're Like Eeyore On Heroine

Start from the beginning

Glancing around the street, I wasn't surprised to find that everything was covered in a thick layer of filth. Dirty water puddled in the streets, as thick as syrup, and windows were smashed in. From outside, I could hear angry voices as Gold Thrush tried to take control despite everyone's protests. 

I shifted my weight from foot to foot as I tried to keep from stepping in a puddle that smelt a hell of a lot like something that was not water or on the glass shards that seemed to coat every inch of the road. I kept to the shadows, out of sight, swearing to myself that I would only step in if they really needed me. I was supposed to be bad: I couldn't exactly get caught rescuing some supers from a domestic violence case. Next thing you know, I'd be saving Mckenzie Ladders's cat from that damn tree.

Even from the other side of the street, I could hear the shouting and sounds of furniture getting thrown and bottles smashing against their victim's heads. More cries erupted through the ear chip as Gold Thrush began shouting, trying to calm the fighting couple and keep them off an unconscious Bat Boy. It sounded like some nosey neighbours had joined in too, yelling at the super to get his hands off their friends and to mind his own business.

Like cops, supers weren't really welcome in these parts. Generally people seemed to think that we abandoned them, and it wasn't much use to try and convince them otherwise considering every super apart from us was currently M.I.A. and leaving families like this to their own devices.

Get the fuck off me Ray!

They can sort it out themselves!

Stay out of it!

RAY GET OFF! YOU'RE HURTING ME!

A shrill scream pierced my eardrums and Gold Thrush started shouting panicky orders. I winced at all the noise, my headache pounding. So much noise for such a tiny ear chip... For a second, I actually debated teleporting to the nearest Whole Foods and grabbing a bottle of orange juice, but I was interrupted by Gold's low, authoritative voice, full of a bravado that I knew deep down was fake. He needed back up and desperately. Meanwhile, I pictured him bending down and shaking Bat Boy's unconscious shoulders as I heard him plead softly, "Bat Boy, wake up. Can you hear me? Wake. Up!"

"Someone get the hell out here!" Gold roared.

"Mist and I are on our way," Electro promised. Storm clouds funnelled over Manhattan and I knew he would be here in a matter of minutes, along with his gaseous sister. 

"Speak for yourself," Mist snapped, her voice strangely quiet. "I can't miss this calc test. I'll fail the semester! You guys are on your own for this one; it's just domestic violence. It'll be fine."

"Just?" Gold seethed, "you try breaking up the Adam's Family. Tell me how that goes."

I HEARD THAT!

"I don't get paid enough for this," Gold muttered.

"We don't get paid at all, asshole."

"Yeah, that really needs to change."

"Agreed."

"All in favour of signing a petition after this, say 'I'." 

"I."

"I."

"I."

Idiots. I was surrounded by idiots. Meanwhile, I was growing increasingly antsy as I paced, ignoring the foul smell of whatever I just stepped on. Damn it, these were new boots! I was tempted to join in, but I had no reason to be a hero. Evil was in my veins; I had bad blood! And I'm not just saying that because I bought the new Taylor Swift album last week (because I didn't).