Thirty-One

Zeus 
| thirty-one | 

Waking up alone was something that Zeus had become accustomed to. It had been over a week since Anya had been taken, and with each moment that passed by, his wolf inside died a little more inside. Opening his eyes in the early morning sunlight, he stared at the ceiling, his green orbs rimmed with red as he groaned, forcing himself to sit up. 

Half naked, he ripped the covers from his body as he stood up, his mouth opening into a wide yawn as he sighed. Rubbing his eyes once more, he moved over to the window, using one hand to pull them open as his other hand pulled at the freshly cut strands of hair. 

Inside, his wolf was silent; he had been for the last four days. At first, Zeus had tried to communicate with him, but after the first couple of days, he had become withdrawn until he had eventually fallen silent. 

By now, Zeus was past caring. He wanted Anya back, but after each day of searching went by, he wasn't sure how they would find her. 

Groaning, he stretched, moving towards the bed where he fell backwards, lying across the mattress. He barely got a moment to relax when his bedroom door was flung open. 

A dishevelled Ares stood in the doorway panting, his bare chest glistening with sweat as it heaved with each breath. "What are you doing?" He asked, his eyes wide as he stared at his Alpha who laid sprawled on the bed. 

"Nothing."

Ares sighed as he stepped into the room, closing the door shut behind him as he watched as Zeus stared at the ceiling. "You need to get up. We have to find her." 

"I know." 

Ares ran a hand over his face in frustration, throwing his hand up as he blew air between his lips. "Zeus, come on. We've gotta go. Everyone is waiting for you," He pleaded. Zeus rolled his lips into his mouth before chewing onto his bottom lip. He remained silent as he closed his eyes. Noticing the pained expression on his Alpha's face, Ares sighed once again, taking a step closer to the bed. 

"Stay there," Zeus ordered, his voice emotionless. 

Ares rolled his eyes, "Are you going to keep doing this? Because if you are, then we'll just go without you!" 

Zeus sat up, bringing his knees up so that he could rest his elbows on them. "Doing what?" 

The Beta growled, "You know exactly what I'm talking about; this!" He threw his hands up angrily. "Look, I understand that you've lost your mat-" 

"Don't say that!" Zeus yelled, his head snapping to the side to glare at his second in command. Breathing deeply for a few moments, Zeus growled, "She's not lost. I haven't lost her. She isn't dead; she's been taken." 

Ares breathed through his nose before nodding, "I know. I'm just saying you need to get your head together. Otherwise you're never getting her back." 

Suddenly, the wind was knocked out of Ares as he was slammed up against the door. His eyes widened as Zeus pinned him against the bedroom door, his hand clenched tightly around his Beta's throat. Gasping for breath, Ares' vein in his temple was visible as it pounded, Zeus' hand tightening. "If I ever hear that shit come out of your mouth, I'll fucking cut your tongue from your throat," He threatened, his teen grinding as he spoke gruffly. His hand was released from Ares, who fell to his knees, gasping for breath, his hand flying to his throat. 

Zeus moved away from him, leaving his Beta coughing on the floor as he threw open the door to his walk-in wardrobe, swiftly grabbing a shirt and throwing it on.