Thirty-Two

Zeus
| thirty-two |

Over the next few days, Anya became weaker. Her enhanced senses where slowly fading; her eyesight was blurry, her smell was diminishing, and her body was growing numb. As the days went by, her movements became slower, and she barely spoke whenever she had company.

She knew her time was running out.

When Hercules had left her, her mind was reeling. She could still feel his lips on hers, long after he'd gone, bile rising at the back of her throat. Her thoughts were all over the place, her eyes closing tiredly as she rested against the wall.

Her wolf had stopped responding, yet Anya was too immobile to gather the strength to try and communicate with her. Her thoughts often turned to Zeus, and the rest of the pack, but she didn't have enough energy to produce tears. She was tired, weak and hungry, and each time she fell asleep, she was left dumbfounded whenever she woke.

Her body had been through changes since meeting her new pack, the disease that destroyed her from the inside was silent, undetected. But now, as it was advancing, it was making itself known. She knew she was dying.

She groaned suddenly, her hearing muffled as the door to her cell was opened. Yet she did not react, even when she realised that it was her mate's brother who had come to see her.

"Anya?"

She remained silent, unable to form words as she licked her dry lips. Slowly, she opened her eyes, brown orbs moving to stare up at the male before her.

Hercules looked down at Anya as she breathed deeply, staring at him before she closed her eyes, a soft sigh escaping her. A frown made it's way onto his face; he had expected her to put up a fight, to order him away like she did before. He even expected her to scream at him, to insult him like she had when he'd kissed her.

But she was still.

That was when he realised something was wrong.

He made a move towards her, his frown deepening when she didn't even flinch from his touch as he grabbed onto her arm. "Anya, open your eyes," He whispered softly. Her eyelids fluttered, but she was frail. His eyes raked over her bare legs and arms, his lips pursing at the bruising that lined her pale skin. His grip on her arm tightened, a small groan escaping her lips. Hercules moved her matted hair from her face, brushing it from her sweaty forehead. He opened his mouth to speak, but didn't get a word out as the cell door was slammed open.

Ethan burst into the cell, his eyes wide as he stared at Hercules. He panted, his eyes flickering towards Anya before focusing back onto his friend. Hercules frowned at him, standing up to face the lean wolf.

"What is it?" He asked, a dark look washing over his features. Ethan's eyes looked towards his cousin once more, a look of realisation replacing the glare on Hercules' face.

Ethan gasped out, "Zeus," He breathed heavily. "He's come for Anya."

~

Ares crouched low on the ground, hidden by the tall grass that surrounded his large wolf form. Beside him, Apollo nipped at his flank, Ares blowing hot air through his nostrils in response.

The Winterstone Pack had come together, each member hidden in the shadows of the forest. Even Eos had come with them, perched upon a branch in a large birch tree. She could sense the members of the Bloodstone Pack; the signal had been received.

Zeus took a step closer to the edge of the trees, his large form pushing through the branches that hung low along the forest floor. He shivered, not from the cold, but from anticipation. His heart thundered in the depths of his broad chest, adrenaline pumping through his veins. He was ready.