Her Purpose (End)

Chapter 38

They were falling, she couldn't stop it. All she could do was hold him as tightly as she could, making sure it was her that would hit the ground first. The demon would be able to come back from the fall, the dying human in her arms wouldn't.

Yuna buried her nose in his soft locks as she waited for her back to impact with the rough earth beneath them. But it never came. Instead, the kyuubi felt the familiar sensation of sand moving beneath her.

"Gaara.."

She pulled her eyes away from Naruto long enough to see the Kazekage with his arm outstretched to them. She forced a smile in thanks, but he could see how grim it was. They'd lost Kurama, he couldn't expect the nine tailed crimsonette to be happy about it. Unfortunately, with his attention drawn to them, it allowed the statue to steal the one tails away.

"Shukaku!"

The rest of the tailed beast followed quickly, opening all nine of the statue's eyes. Not that Yuna paid it more than a glance. Her grip still tightly on Naruto as Gaara joined them on the platform. She wouldn't let him go, not for anything.

"Don't worry Yuna, he's not gone yet." He tried to sooth her as they traveled through the air. She knew his plans, she'd heard her father tell him how they could save him.

She only worried they weren't moving fast enough. Her grip, if possible, tightened around him, pulling him closer as she sought comfort in his smell and fading warmth. She was using what little medical ninjutsu Konan had taught her to try and postpone his death long enough that they could save him, but it didn't appear to be working."Baka Naru.."

"Naruto!" Yuna rose her gaze to find Gaara had brought them to where Sakura was with Tsunade and Shizune.

"There's no time to talk! Hokage come with us!" Gaara demanded. "Naruto has to recover on the way."

"I have no chakra left to use medical ninjutsu.." The female blonde admitted sadly. "Take Sakura with you, she still has some.."

"What did they do to Naruto?!" The pinkette demanded.

Yuna couldn't find her voice as she just continued to hold onto their teammate. This was all her fault, perhaps if she had been in her more beastly appearance and hadn't had her chakra hidden the chains from the statue would have latched onto her instead, and left Naruto in peace.

"I'll explain later. Right now we need to move!" The male red head said, clearly worried about the time they were wasting.

"Sakura get onto the sand!" Tsunade ordered. Her student did as she was told, climbing on with the three.

She didn't even try to remove Yuna's grip on him, obviously aware of how impossible a task that would be. Sakura just placed her hands beneath the kyuubi's using her own medical ninjutsu to try healing him.

Though as she seemed to uncover the damage done, her own worry began to match Yuna's, as she tried to keep herself calm by telling the blonde that he would definitely survive. The demon holding him was not blind. She could feel both her and Sakura's chakra dwindling to nothing.

"My chakra is...." The pinkette looked at the crimsonette, whose own eyes mirrored her pain. "At this rate..... At this rate Naruto will... Die..."

The kyuubi chakra that had been surrounding most the allied shinobi flickered as it faded from Sakura's person. Yuna knew why before the kunoichi even placed her head to Naruto's chest. There was no sound or pulse..

"Why?! Medical ninjutsu isn't working!"

"That's because they removed the kyuubi from him." Gaara explained, making Yuna wince.