Spiritual Networking - Chapter 17

Chapter 17

“Hel...Hello,” Millie said as she wiped the sleep from her eyes and looked at the digital clock next to the bed. Seven in the morning! UGH Lexi! Millie thought!

“So, suffice it to say, you are not watching your big sister on TV?” Lexi’s accusation was accurate. However, what she did not know was that Millie recorded her sister and watched it later, fast forwarding through all the other newscasters and anchors.

“I am sleeping. So, no. Sorry.”

“Well if you tell me what happened last night, I will tell you what happened to me!!”

“What happened Lexi, I know you can’t wait to tell me. I can hear it in your voice,” Millie said as she pulled herself up to go get a cup of coffee.

“Well, let’s just say, You no longer need to give Charlie the evil eye!” Lexi said with a smile to her voice.

“WHAT? Charles FINALLY proposed?!?!?!” This news woke Millie up more than anything else could, she sat straight up in her bed fully alert.

“Yes little sister! And your dress will not come with a hoodie! So, we need to go shopping and get you used to wearing real clothes!”

“I didn’t use one last night! And I agree, maybe it is time for me to dress up some. ”

“Millie! That makes me so happy! Tell me what happened?” Millie could tell the excitement in her sister’s voice.

“It was wonderful, Paul took me out to eat and it was a nice place, one Mom might even approve of, then we went to the High and it was just like I remembered, everything was perfect until...”

“Until?” Alexis was on the edge of her seat and Millie could tell it was killing her sister.

“Until we ran into Mom and Dad.”

It was Lexi’s turn to yell, “What? Mom and Dad were there?”

“Yes and other than that it was a wonderful evening. Paul was wonderful the whole evening. He even handled Mom and Dad as well as could be expected!”

“You love him, don’t you sis?” Lexi knew this was a new experience for her sister.

“Yeah, I do!” Millie said and even to her the voice that came out of her mouth sounded wistful and dreamy. “But, enough about me! Tell me how Charles proposed?”

“Well, he took me to the botanical gardens, and oh Millie, it was so romantic! He had this section of the gardens set up with white lights and a table, I don’t know how he did it all, but he catered in all my favorite foods... lobster, crab cakes and cheesecake. Everything was spectacular. Then he dropped to his knee and quoted Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s Sonnet’s from a Portuguese

‘If thou must love me, let it be for nought

Except for love's sake only. Do not say

'I love her for her smile--her look--her way

Of speaking gently,--for a trick of thought

That falls in well with mine, and certes brought

A sense of pleasant ease on such a day'--

For these things in themselves, Beloved, may

Be changed, or change for thee,--and love, so wrought,

May be unwrought so. Neither love me for

Thine own dear pity's wiping my cheeks dry,--