Chapter 11

Mr. Doors looked relieved when the bell finally rang.

"No homework tonight!" he shouted enthusiastically.

Everyone shouted back their approval.

Thank God! I did not feel like doing homework on the first day back. I flipped my notebook closed and tucked it in my bag. The last hour had been interesting. Besides the obvious: James sitting next to me, making weird grunting noises randomly during the lesson. Whatever he was trying to do, I did my best to ignore him. I focused on the front, making sure my line of vision never wandered to my right even when some of his grunts were beginning to sound suggestive towards the end of class. My head shook thinking about it. I didn't know where his mind wandered off to after our little spat but somehow he'd decided that grunting was more effective than using words.

Boys.

Maybe he's borderline stupid? I envisioned myself shrugging like I honestly didn't know whether or not he actually was 'stupid'. The image made me want to laugh. I turned to the window and tried to hold it in but few quiet chuckles spilled out.

"What's so funny?"

I stopped laughing.

Shit! He's still sitting beside me! I took a moment to breathe out the last of the amusing image and slowly turned back to face him.

"It's nothing," I said calmly. I hoped he believed me.

He looked at me warily.

Okay, he doesn't believe me.

Screw it.

"Okay, it's not nothing." I grinned and stood up with my backpack, pausing in front of his desk with my back to him. "I was thinking that maybe you might be a little bit stupid."

I sped from the room before he had a chance to reply. I didn't even get to see his reaction but I just called him stupid, so I was sure it wasn't going to be good.

What was I thinking? Do I have a death wish? I grimaced as I shuffled around the crowded hallway making my way to my next class.

*~*~*

After two more classes, it was finally time for my favorite period of the day.

Lunch!

Oh yeah. I was starving.

My stomach had begun grumbling a little too loudly during last period, loud enough that the person next to me began laughing from the volume.

That was so embarrassing! I was going to have to hide some snacks in my bag to eat on the way to school if Mom kept giving me that twiggy breakfast.

I headed to the bathroom before meeting Jenna in the cafeteria.

"Donna! Nuh-ungh!" A barrage of girls shot into the bathroom, giggling loudly as I shut the door to my stall.

I paused with my back against the door, deciding to eavesdrop when I heard who might be involved in this intellectual conversation.

Donna.

"He's so cute!"

"So cute!"

"Too cute!"

"He's mine!"

"Uh oh! The predator's been unleashed!"

"Donna's out on the hunt ladies, so back off!"

Who are they talking about it? My heart began beating faster.