Chapter 5

August 2nd, 2012

"Honestly, Annabelle," Mom sighed, "I thought I taught you to at least brush your hair before putting it up in a ponytail." Exasperated, she took a sip of her steaming black coffee.

Lalala! What was that? I can't hear you!

I held back the delirious giggle that threatened to erupt. I wasn't in any kind of mental state to be answering Mom's questions. I simply nodded like I understood and accepted her complaint. Absentmindedly, I swirled the contents of my cereal bowl and brought a spoonful to my mouth.

Ugh! What the hell is this?! I grimaced as I chewed the twigs. Whatever this 'cereal' was, it didn't taste like anything you'd find in the supermarket.

Where the hell did she buy this crap?

Maybe a health food store? They've probably got crazy stuff like this on their shelves.

I took a deep, subtle breath before attempting another spoonful.

"Yummy, right?" Mom asked, gesturing her chin toward my bowl. She did a weird thing with her eyes, widening them then squinting.

I didn't know about her sometimes...

Yeah, it's delicious – for a rabbit!

I nodded calmly and gulped down the soggy twigs. I glanced up at her through my lashes and her eyebrows were wiggling at me.

Confused, I offered her a shrug, my eyes saying 'What?'

Her eyes widened in irritation at my cluelessness. Then she jerked her chin towards Katherine. I glanced over at my sister, obliviously playing with her iPhone.

"Delicious, right?" Mom urged in a tone I didn't dare disagree with.

I cleared my throat. "Uh, right, delicious."

I brought another spoonful to my mouth and grudgingly ate it to prove I was telling the truth.

Damn this stuff was awful!

I chewed quickly and forced it down with an audible gulp. "Yummy," I whispered at my empty bowl.

Thank God, I'm done!

"Katherine, darling," Mom said sweetly. "See what Annabelle's having for breakfast? It's delicious and good for you."

Katherine looked up from her iPhone and smiled amiably. "Mommy, I want some of Annabelle's cereal tomorrow."

Mom looked like she was about to explode with happiness. "Sweetheart, why didn't you say anything earlier? I would have given you the healthy cereal today."

"I thought Annabelle was the only one who was supposed to have healthy cereal." Katherine pouted.

I stared at my sister in amazement as Mom blathered on about this rabbit food. With a single line, Katherine had Mom eating out of the palm of her hand. She was a pro, and now she was barely paying attention to anything Mom was saying about health benefits

Bullshit! I mentally yelled at her.

Instead, I gave her a knowing look. She replied with a sly grin when mom leaned into her coffee.

"I want to eat Annabelle's cereal every day from now on," She declared.

Mom put down her mug and gushed at her 'little princess' for making such a 'wise decision.'

What a fool.

"You make Mommy so proud," She beamed at Katherine who nodded.

I shook my head. It was so easy for her. She could just shoot out garbage about wanting something I know she couldn't possibly eat every day. She'd try it for a few days then ask Mom if it was okay to eat Cornflakes instead. I recalled the beginning of summer when I'd been told about what my breakfast would be from then until the end of the world.