Chapter 1

Copyright ©2013 Sarah Tork

**************

Friday September 7th 2012

Being Young didn't count as an excuse anymore......

Just breathe.

"What's wrong with me?" I sighed.

Jenna, my best friend, sighed as she layed comfortably on her bed. "Oh you know...the usual things. Multiple personalities, homicidal daydreaming, cross-dressing as our evil History teacher... You know....the normal everyday stuff."

I leaned my head onto her mattress and twisted it so she could see me. I narrowed my eyes at her as she gave me an innocent 'What?' look.

I rolled my eyes. "Screw you! You're worse than I am."

"Anna?" Her voice suddenly changed from humorous to concerned. We came to her house right after school and she was going to bring up what happened at school today, no matter what.

I had no problem pretending it didn't happen.

Like she'd let that happen!

"Yeah?" I responded quietly, looking away.

"You okay?" She asked.

Am I okay? I thought. There was a reason why I wasn't crying like a blubbering idiot whose soul was just crushed right now.

I was out of it on purpose

"I'm not really feeling anything," I replied, lifelessly.

"You're feeling numb, aren't you? I'd be a total mess....if that happened to me. I'd feel humiliated and disrespected_" As she rambled dramatically, I leaned my head back down onto her mattress and stared transfixed at the ceiling.

It was beautiful.

Last year her parents let her paint her room. The first thing she painted was a glow amidst a dark sky, with a million stars and comets scattered around. There had been a lot of sleepovers since then. Adding chill music to our peaceful minds, with the shadow of night, those were some good nights.

I stared at the collection of stars and wished the sun away so that we could draw the blinds, shut the lights off, and allow our minds to wander....carefree.

"You ready to talk about it?" Jenna whispered, making me cringe.

WHAT THE HELL!

"What's there to talk about? I was rejected, again! Simple!" My frustration exploded, her constant nagging to 'talk about it' finally pissing me off.

I didn't want to TALK ABOUT IT.

I didn't want to REMEMBER IT.

I wanted to forget it EVER HAPPENED.

And I couldn't do that if she kept FREAKING bringing it up every two seconds.

"It was not simple!" She snapped back, shuffling about on the bedspread, trying to contain her own anger about the whole situation. Her hostility, funnily enough, tugged at my heartstrings.

That's what good friends are for. You feel pain, they feel pain. I shook my head thinking about that. I didn't want her to feel bad, it wasn't her problem.

"Just forget about today, okay?" I pleaded. "Please."

She jerked herself up into a sitting position, her leg hitting the side of my head.