19 - Some Idiot In Tights

Start from the beginning

"Actually, it's spandex," he gave the guard a pointed look and for a second, the guard almost looked nervous.

"Whatever, you have twenty minutes," he grunted and left to keep watch on the other side of the large metallic door that separated the holding cells from freedom. The Invisible Hand turned his attention back on me.

"Huh, I was right," IH mused, wetting his lips, "you really can't stay out of trouble." The smoky spandex somehow made the room around him seem darker. Apart from the thin, leather band that stretched across his eyes, IH's face was on full display, his grin revealing a childish set of dimples that almost gave him a flair of innocence. Finn's jaw dropped to the ground and IH smirked, pushing off the doorframe and crossing to close his mouth for him.

"Really, Finn, you'll catch flies," he tutted. How he knew Finn, I didn't even want to know. Up until this moment, the two had never come face to face.

I finally seemed to snap out of it as I waved at the guard. "Hey! What are you doing? He's a wanted criminal! Arrest him!" Even as I screamed at him, I knew the guard would look at me crazily. After all, I was the girl who had been hanging out with this very super for the past couple months. His name had been cleared ages ago when he helped everyone at the school escape and the media saw that the supers actually trusted him. Nobody knew he was really a traitor after all except us. That news was more recent and unfortunately, more private. I clenched my fists at my side. Even my cellmate was distracted from me as she watched IH hungrily.

IH cocked his head like a puppy as he turned to look at me, "aren't you happy to see me?"

In two strides, he had closed the gap between him and the cell bars. Now, he towered over me, his hands wrapped over mine on the bars and in a weird way, we were holding hands as his peppermint breath fanned over me.

"I'm going to get you out of here," he whispered, his eyes darting around before he teleported next to me. I screamed and stumbled back, straight into my crazy inmate's open arms. Letting out a strangled cry at her satisfactory smirk, I leapt as far away from her as I could before IH grabbed my wrist and suddenly we were standing outside on the dark street, lit up only by street lights and the occasional glow of a cell phone as some New Yorker walked by. It was after one in the morning and the street was almost deserted of people. Only taxis and the sporadic car zipped by and that was mainly on the avenues, not the streets.

"What are you doing?" My voice cracked, "I'm going to get in so much trouble! They know who I am, idiot! I'll get arrested all over again for breaking out."

"You're welcome," IH rolled his eyes. I blanched. Did he really not hear what I just said? "You know, we never got to talk about Ciaran."

"What about Ciaran?" I asked, trying to contain my annoyance, "we don't have time to talk about Ciaran!"

"Yes we do," IH gestured around, "I don't see anyone out here, do you?"

"IH–"

"You really need a better name for me than that," he chuckled.

"How about you tell me your real name then?"

"Not a chance," he winked.

"Stop winking at me!"

"Aw, but it's so fun," he pouted, his blue eyes sparkling mischievously. But something about them was off.

"You're wearing contacts," I noted. Either he had just come from his human life and didn't have the time to take them out, or... "No. HELL NO!" I shouted.