FINAL CHAPTER(17): Protection

Upon recognizing the figure before them, all of Juvia's guild mates stood in front of her protectively.
Nightmare was on them in a second, Nozomi trailing behind him.
"Well, it seems that most of you have managed to be reunited," he said, a little too happily,"But what about the celestial mage?"
Natsu balled his fists and stared intensely at the ground, suppressing his urge to fight for his friend's sake. The mention of Lucy had certainly triggered something within him, though.
     "Oh?" Nightmare feigned surprise, "Did I say something wrong?"
"Don't...Don't talk about her like that..." Natsu choked out the words through clenched teeth.
Nightmare began to laugh. "So you really were in love with her? How absolutely tragic!"
Flames began to engulf Natsu's fists, burning bright in the sunlight that seemed out of place. Seeing that a fight was imminent, Juvia began to panic.
"Natsu, don't-"
"Tenryuu no Hoko!" Juvia was interrupted by a familiar voice, followed by a strong gust of wind. Everybody braced themselves against it, only then calling out to their guild mate.
"Wendy! You're here too!" Lisanna called out to the small dragon slayer.
Wendy gave them a small, determined smile. "Yeah. Now let's crush this guy who hurt our friends!"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
The battle was bloody and brutal. After Wendy's surprise attack, Natsu sprang into action, taking all of his rage out on Nightmare. Nozomi joined her lost love, fighting the Fairy Tail wizards, although there was something in her eyes that didn't seem right. It was like she wasn't really there.
Gray protected Juvia as the others took on Nightmare and Nozomi. Gajeel, Natsu, and Wendy worked together to subdue Nightmare, while Levy, Cana, and Lisanna took on Nozomi.
"Juvia wants to fight too," she said in a quiet yet firm voice. Gray turned to face her.
"Juvia, that's too dangerous. I can't lose you again."
Juvia felt her cheeks begin to take on color, but even so she protested. "Please. Let Juvia destroy the man who ripped her sanity away from her. Maybe if he dies the spell will be broken."
"Then let the dragon slayers kill him! I can't let him get near you ever again!"
Juvia stopped and tried to comprehend. Her mind was still foggy, but she was getting the point. Gray wanted to protect her. But why? Juvia had always thought that her love had always been one-sided, but perhaps...she had been wrong?
She looked back to Gray, searching his face for answers. Juvia looked deep into his eyes, sensing a bit of sadness and something she couldn't name. His body was still mostly facing the battle with a protective posture. Juvia took a step closer to him, her hand extended toward him.
     "Gray-sama..." she said tentatively, "Why are you protecting Juvia? Does she mean so much to you that you would protect her with your life?"
     Now it was Gray's turn to blush. He turned away from her to fully face the battle.
     "I told you to just call me Gray," he said as Juvia pulled her outstretched hand down to her chest.
     "If we make it back to the guild...will you tell Juvia the answer?"
     "...Yes. When we get back to the guild, I'll tell you."
     Juvia looked at the ground, and only then did she notice the blood pooling around her feet.
          ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
     When Juvia had screamed about blood rising around her, Gray almost instinctively formed a shield of ice around them, crouching down to where Juvia had fallen after she cried out.
He wanted to tell her that she was safe. He wanted to whisper softly that everything would be okay, but how could he? It would be a blatant lie, and how could he lie to her?
"Juvia-"
Before he could even conjure a full sentence, the ice shield shattered. In reaction, Gray threw himself over the screaming Juvia, whose cries had been reduced to a whimper.
     Once the ice shards stopped flying, Gray picked himself up off of the bluenette. "Are you okay, Juvia?" He asked, his eyes showing more concern than he intended.
Juvia looked up at him, shaking a little from the rush. "Juvia is unharmed. What about you?"
"I'm fine," he answered abruptly.
     Gray pulled Juvia off of the ground and held her close to him with one arm, trying not to make eye contact. To prevent that, he surveyed the battle scene.
     Natsu was practically engulfed in flame. Wendy and Gajeel were on either side of him, beaten up but still ready to fight.
     A little farther away, Lisanna, Cana, and Levy were standing near where Nozomi's body lay on the ground, completely still. They were badly wounded, yet they would still fight for their friends if the need arose.
Too late, Gray noticed that he could not see Nightmare. After a warning shout from Gajeel and a startled cry from Juvia that seemed to come at exactly the same time, the ice wizard whipped around just time to see Nightmare holding Juvia against him with one arm around her neck, nearly choking her.
"Take one step closer and the rain woman dies," he declared, his voice ragged.
Gray knew it was a weak bluff. He knew that there was an obvious way around it, and yet...he couldn't bring himself to attack or think a way out of it.
"Why...?" He muttered softly to himself. Why did he feel so helpless, so...frantic? What was the name of this feeling?
Gray figured that now was not the time for soul searching. He'd have to deal with that later. Right now, he needed to save Juvia.
     "Let her go," Gray said in a forceful, even voice. He took two steps toward Nightmare, knowing that the man wouldn't do anything yet.
     "You think I'll let her go just like that? No, I haven't finished having my fun with her yet," Nightmare replied madly, tightening his grip around Juvia's neck, causing her to gasp.
     Gray took one look at the pained expression on Juvia's face and felt a sharp tug at his heart. Why am I feeling this? He questioned himself for a moment before deciding that he had to get rid of Nightmare no matter what. If it meant killing the madman, then so be it.
     "Oh, come on. Aren't you going to at least try to save the woman you love?" Nightmare taunted, a mad smile growing on his face.
     ...Love?
Is that what this is?
Do I...love Juvia? When did this happen? How?
     Once again, Gray decided that he'd have to put his feelings aside for the moment. Juvia was his top priority. He took on a steely expression and moved into a battle stance. He made eye contact with Gajeel, then looked over to Nightmare, hoping that the message would be conveyed. With a nod from the dragon slayer, Gray put his plan into action.
     "Ice Make..."
     "Tetsuryu no Hoko!"
     Gray faked an attack while Gajeel took Nightmare by surprise from behind him. With Gajeel's blow, Nightmare's grip on Juvia released and Gray ran to catch her in his arms. Juvia coughed and gasped for breath, kneeling on the blood-slicked grass. With wide eyes, she turned her head to look at where Nightmare and Gajeel were. She gasped when she saw Gajeel's iron sword protruding from Nightmare's chest, with dark red blood flowing down it and dripping onto the ground.
     Only a few moments after she beheld the bloody scene before her, a hand gently cupped the side of her head and turned her away from the horror. She found herself nestled against Gray's chest.
     "Don't look," the voice was a little more than a whisper. Juvia recognized the voice immediately.
     "Gray?" She whispered softly, slowly wrapping her arms around him.
      "Yes?" The reply was soft and gentle.
     "Is it...over now?" The fog seemed to be leaving her mind, and she could comprehend things more clearly now. There were no more menacing shadows, voices, or strange lights. It was like putting glasses on and suddenly being able to see every fine detail.
     "Yeah. It's finally over." With that, Gray released her and gave her a look that she had never seen before. Was this a look of...love? It was the same type of gaze that she always shot at him, hoping that someday it would be returned. Was this actually happening?
     "Juvia, are you okay?" Cana's concerned voice snapped Juvia out of her reverie.
     "Cana!" Juvia looked up to see her friend and the rest of the guild running in her direction.
     The guild had a happy reunion that included many cheers, tears, and laughs. Despite the bodies on the ground, they were happy to be together again. Things seemed to be okay, and they were, for a few minutes.
However, as they were wandering around the grove, searching for a way out, Levy made a startling discovery.
She kicked something, causing a jingling sound to echo throughout the glade. She bent down to inspect the object and gasped loudly, then covered her mouth with one hand. Levy picked up the object with tears in her eyes and turned to Natsu, he hand outstretched.
"Natsu...I think you want these..." She choked out as he came toward her, a confused expression on his face. The mage gave him the object then turned away, wiping at her eyes.
In Natsu's hand he held all that was left of his beloved. Lucy's celestial spirit keys glinted in the light that seemed to come from everywhere all at once. He didn't even bother to try stopping his tears as they rolled down his face and onto the shining keys.
When the others saw it, they had a similar reaction as silence once more loomed over the group.
"Come on, let's go home," Wendy said gently, walking slightly ahead of them, "I'm sure our friends are anxious to see us."
I have to be strong for everybody, she reminded herself as the group walked onward.

A/N:
OMG WOOOOW THIS IS FINALLY DONE. THATS RIGHT, YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF THIS BOOK! I will write an epilogue but I'm not sure when that will come out...I will be writing a sequel as well. To stay updated as to when those will come out, please check out my other book, Cloudy Dreams: The Many Adventures of Weeb Trash. Thank you guys so much for reading this book! Please remember to comment, vote, and share. I'll see you in the epilogue!
Byeeeeee!
~Kinichi