No one.

Not even Grady.

Mrs. Crabtree answered the door in her nightgown and robe. Seeing my expression, she simply stepped aside, inviting me indoors. Her house was gloomy, overshadowed as it was by the huge old trees outside. Old pictures of children in costume and dancing covered her walls, but I didn't pay attention. I had more important things on my mind.

"Mrs. Crabtree, she found out," I said. "She knows I've been planning my escape." I gasped for air as tears slid down my cheeks. "And she told Dad and Grady. And now he hates me."

"Now calm down. First of all, Grady doesn't hate you," Mrs. Crabtree said as she sat down on her sofa. She patted the cushion next to her and I joined her. "If I know Grady, he's just feeling hurt. He doesn't want you to leave."

"But I can't stay," I said.

"Lindy, do you really have a choice?" Mrs. Crabtree asked gently.

I began to sob, shaking my head. "What you need to do," Mrs. Crabtree broke through my tears with her gentle tone, "is make a bargain."

"What kind of a bargain?" I asked, still sniffling.

"It may not work, but it's worth a try. Tell your mother you will go along with her plans as long as she lets you attend school. If you're going to school, life won't be too abnormal, will it?"

I nodded. That did sound like a good plan.

Meet Mom halfway.

I could do that.

#

The next morning, I watched as Mom signed my contract, my eyes still red and puffy from the night before. I guess I should have felt something, but I somehow, weirdly, I couldn't. I just felt numb. I think Kandee and Mr. Kane noticed my swollen eyes, but they didn't comment.

They didn't comment because they didn't care.

As soon as Mom finished signing me away, I left the room and ran straight into Grady in the hallway. I bit my lip and tried to think of something to say, but I couldn't come up with anything. I was just too worn out.

He glared at me.

"So I figured it out," he said.

"Figured what out, Grady?" I asked. I walked away and he followed me. I sighed. I didn't have time for this.

"You're running away because of Ryder. Something is going on between you two."

"What?" I turned to face him, completely confused.

"That's why you're leaving, isn't it? I told you not to get involved with him. He's nothing but trouble."

I crossed my arms and glared right back at him. "I thought he was your friend."

"Yeah, but you're my sister," Grady shot back.

"I've got news for you. I'm not leaving. Mom just signed my contract. I'm stuck here now, same as you."

"Oh," Grady said, taken aback.

"Yeah, she's my manager and my mom so it wasn't like I really had any choice." I sighed. "I didn't want to get away from you, Grady, or anyone else. I just wanted to be me, somewhere normal, out of the spotlight."

"Well, just cause you're staying doesn't mean I think any differently. I'm your big brother and you need to listen to me. Stay away from Ryder Rhodes. He's bad news."

I shook my head. "That's where you're wrong, Grady. If I've learned one thing, it's this. I'm on my own in this family. I thought I might as well grow up since I'm the only one here who really cares what happens to me. So I did. I know what's best for me."

"You're all grown up now, huh?" Grady scoffed. "And you know best?

I nodded. "Yep, I am. I can take care of me."

"We'll see," Grady said.

I meant it when I said. I really did think I was grown up. That I could take care of myself.

Why can't I ever be right?

***Ok guys, here's something fun. I've missed dedicating some of the chapters along the way. SO...... if you find a chapter that isn't dedicated and you want it dedicated to you or someone you know (on wattpad, it won't let me dedicate to non-members), be the first to reply in the comments below with the chapter name and the name you want it dedicated to and I'll dedicate it.  Remember, it has to be a chapter that is MISSING the dedication.

What did you guys think of this chapter? And Grady? And Mom?