Chapter one

Present day

i awoke with a jolt, sweat streaming from my face. untangling myself from the blanket that was trying to strangle me, i swung out of bed, my bare feet landing on the distinctly cold floor. i had another nightmare. this one however was different than my previous ones. usually i dream about the forest fire, dreaming so vividly i can feel the heat coming off of the flames of memories. this time i dreamed about a battle, i watched a tall armoured man with a large helm and a golden ring upon his finger destroy both elves and men alike. i awoke shortly after i came face to face with a giant, lidless, flaming eye.

"i have to tell Galadriel about this."  i whispered in my mind.

i rose to my feet, walking across the room without a sound over to my window. the white drapes were pulled back allowing the sun to stream into my room, dancing off of the floor. i rested my arms on the windowsill, gazing out at the training grounds. Haldir and his brothers were training the new recruits for the border watch. this morning they were practising archery. i watched as Rumil shot, hitting dead centre every time. he had the best shot in all of Lorien, it seemed as if he never missed. i then turned my attention to Orophin, he was distributing quivers to the young elves, showing them how to wear them and how to retrieve an arrow. i chuckled to myself as a young Ellon stung his quiver over his back wrong causing it to tip upside and for all of his arrows to spill out on the mossy ground. i now turned my attention to haldir, but i quickly averted my eyes once i found him staring at me. i felt a rose blush coming across my face, however i didn't know why. i thought of haldir only as a friend, but i wasn't so sure he felt the same.

with a quick motion i gathered the drapes together in my hand and closed them, it was time to get dressed. i opened the middle drawer of my short oak dresser, this was where my dresses lay. i picked out a simple grey riding dress with flowing sleeves and stepped into my well worn, brown leather riding boots. the royal tree lay a mile and a half from where i stayed, therefore i was going to ride there for i wished to speak with Galadriel as soon as possible. i rushed to my door and practically ran down the spiralling staircase which led to the forest floor. i turned left upon reaching the bottom and headed towards the barn. i walked quickly, trying to be stealthy. i didn't want haldir to notice me, i wasn't in the mood for a conversation.

"Aria?" someone called out my name.

" ai Valar!" i cursed under my breath.  i spun around quickly to find none other than Haldir. i had to find a way to let him off easy, my message for Galadriel could not be delayed any longer.

" where are you off to?" haldir asked with a lopsided grin, which i'll admit i found charming.

" i need to seek an audience with the lady Galadriel, i have some important news i wish to share with her." the words pored out of lips while i fidgeted with my hands behind my back,for some reason Haldir was making me nervous this morning.

" let me escort you, i'll fetch your horse." he said as he took off towards the stable. he returned shortly leading my tall, black stallion and his bay mare. both horses were saddled and bridled. i took light delicate steps towards him and took my reins from his hand with a faked smile, i didn't want to explain my problems to him, they might cause him to worry.

the ride was slow and silent, not a word was spoken, however i could feel his gaze on my back the entire ride.  finally the royal tree came into sight. i pressed my heels onto my horse's side causing him to slip into a light canter. i slid to a stop at the foot of the tree and slid off of my horse.

" thank you for escorting me Haldir, it was very kind of you." i smiled at him

" it was no bother." he smirked at me as i climbed the steps up to the top of the tree.