Los Angeles For Beginners

It was two days later, and somehow I had found myself in a hotel in L.A. For the entire plane ride there, my mind was racing.

How was I, Kyla Allen, typical deadbeat high school graduate, suddenly on a private flight to California, of all places, to work with Diplo?

There was no way I could get around the fact that I was probably just dreaming, or maybe even in a coma. Amazing things don't ordinarily happen to ordinary people. Not usually, at least.

When I arrived in Los Angeles, I was amazed at what I saw. People. Everywhere. There were people running laps around the block, walking their fancy purebred dogs, couples eating lunch outside a modern café. It was so unreal for me.

In Oklahoma, there are only so many places you can find that many people out on the street. Of those places, most of them only have foot traffic on festival days, which only come once a year. And to see a town with as big a crowd in it as there is at a one weekend festival in my hometown, its kinda scary.

On top of the population difference, another thing was the endless shopping. On my drive to the hotel, there were so many places to shop, I don't think I could have done it all in just one day. And they weren't just your un of the mill retail stores, either. They were mostly the A-list celebrity style stores, complete with celebrity style prices.

When I arrived at my hotel, I tuned on my phone to see multiple texts from Wes.

Have you made it to LA yet?

Did you stop by any restaurants on your way? I'm starving!

Please tell me you go food.

Wait- you haven't got off your flight yet.

Meet me at the Mad Decent offices as soon as you get here then

After scrolling through his one-man text conversation, I figured it would be more than necessary to stop by a t food joint on the way. But, as soon as I was outside, I realized that it was easier said than done. I had no clue where the hell I was in this city.

Luckily for me, a thing called Uber exists, so I wasn't entirely lost. You always think of an Uber driver to be the stereotypical middle aged guy who still lives a his parents house, but my cab driver was actually a very nice woman named Jessica.

She was just driving as a way of passing time. I figured that was logical, to her at least. But she did at least help me map out a few places to visit while I was here. Apparently outlet malls are a popular thing here. Yet again, another strange thing in Los Angeles.

When I stepped into the large Mad Decent office building, I was immediately greeted by multiple very famous artists. The first person I saw who I recognized was a fairly short man, with long black hair and black rimmed glasses.

He approached me, clearly reading the look of fear and confusion on my face, and made a joke to break the very awkward, silent ice.

"Ya know, I always thought I'd write a book for people like you. "

I looked at him in confusion, not realizing he was speaking of how lost I must've looked.

"It would be a guide of sorts. You wanna know what I'd name it?" he said with a smirk, clearly setting up for a punchline.

"Uh, sure."

He smiled a devilish grin as he spoke.

"Sonny Moore's Los Angeles For Beginners."

And then it hit me.

I'm about to work with Jack U, the group of Skrillex and Diplo.