[72]

after dropping a quick text to Jamie to come and pick Demi and I up, I went around the house grabbing tissues in boxes and packets. I had tasked Demi with the job of making sure windows were closed and electricity off, as well as getting Buddy ready to go. yes, she was hurting and pretty fragile, but she needed to do something instead of sitting at the table crying endlessly. it'd be better for her that way. Demi had always taken care of me when I needed her. now she needed me, and I made a silent promise to the both of us that I'd always take care of her.

my phone buzzed with a text from Jamie to let me know that he was here, so I went into Demi and Naya's room to tell her that. Demi was sat on Naya's side of the king sized bed, petting Buddy as she flicked through a copy of Staying Strong aimlessly.

"Demi?" I said, approaching her. "Jamie's here."

"okay," she said. then she looked back up at me, and asked, "should I take this?"

I sat down next to her, touching the pages delicately. Buddy stood up and wandered onto a pillow, curling back up. for a moment, I was envious of how he didn't know anything and didn't have to. "if you want to. you could meditate on this for a while, too."

"okay." Demi closed the book and tucked it into her bag. "Lea?"

"yes?"

"you are beyond amazing. thank you."

she didn't need to say what she was thanking me for. both of us knew, and I fell into her open arms as she held me tight, resting her head on mine. the moment was interrupted by my phone buzzing again.

Jamie: Lea? are you alright upstairs?

"c'mon, Demi. we'll be back soon," I said, picking Buddy's carrier up and typing a reply.

Lea: be right there! like 3 minutes

Demi hauled herself off the bed and padded into the dining room, grabbing her bags and handing me mine. then she silently looked around the room once more before picking Buddy up and following me out to the elevator.

"everything okay?" Jamie asked as he helped us to fit our things in the back of the car.

I shrugged. "vaguely."

he nodded, mustering up a smile despite probably knowing that something wasn't right, and got back into the driver's seat after helping Demi and I in. "where to?"

I glanced briefly at Demi before giving him the address. she didn't know we were going to Taylor's house yet, and I guessed she didn't need to know until we had pulled up at her place.

the ride was silent as I watched the car clock hit 10:15pm halfway through the journey. I held on to Demi's hand as she intertwined her fingers with mine, keeping her eyes closed. the passing streetlights shone on her face, lighting her up briefly before disappearing again. occasionally, she sniffed, her other hand traveling to meet Buddy's small head and pet him comfortingly.

soon, the car stopped, and Jamie let us know that we'd arrived.

"Lea?" Demi asked softly as Jamie began to park the car properly. "is this... Taylor's?"

"yes," I told her, feeling a brief panic. what if Demi didn't want to stay here?

thankfully, Demi didn't seem to object. "she agreed to let us stay?"

"yeah," I said. "I didn't tell her the entire reason, though."

"she's such an angel," Demi said softly, almost musing.

Jamie parked the car and helped us to get our things out, then carried them to Taylor's front door. I rang the doorbell.

the door unlocked, and Taylor opened it. she was already in her pajamas - a large white shirt and blue lounge shorts, her short hair let down. when she saw us, she immediately wrapped her arms around Demi in a tight, comforting hug. a hug that said "it's going to be okay".