4. They can't take you from me.

Start from the beginning

"Dad, calm down. You are going to get yourself worked up and I'm sure it is just a misunderstanding. We can go look for her right now, okay? You guys can do all the scolding you want to her and me after we find her okay?"

Carlson strode over to the hallway by the front door. He began to grab his coat and gloves.

"Please, Dad, don't be upset with me. I'm sorry." Adelina stood directly behind Carlson and whispered in his ear.

Carlson didn't respond. He handed Adelina her coat, scarf, and gloves and walked straight out the door. The door banged and thumped as it shut behind her.

Adelina kept silent but couldn't hide the hurt that flashed across her delicate face. She pushed back the tears and threw her coat on in haste. She followed her dad through the front door and out onto the path that lead to town. The wind whistled around her as her hair flew up into the air. Adelina pulled her wild hair into a bun and stuffed it inside the back of her coat. She looked out into the dark path that lay ahead and saw her father was a few feet ahead. Adelina forces her legs to lurch forward and she sprints to catch up.

"Dad," Adelina said, but her father didn't turn around. Adelina isn't sure he was listening, but she decided to continue.

"I'm worried about her too. I always worry about her. I'm sorry I left her, but I think you both are over reacting. Nothing bad happens in town. Everyone takes care of each other. So please try not to stress so much or you'll make yourself sick."

Carlson stayed silent, but his scowl deepened. She didn't understand how irresponsible she was leaving her sister alone. She didn't understand a lot of things.

If only we told them.

His scowl softens as realized it isn't her fault. It was their fault and they had no one else to blame. Leaving the girls protected had been their life goal, but maybe they had left them too sheltered and protected.

Everything has a consequence whether good or bad.

Adelina's legs burned from the fast pace. She forced herself forward,  with her breath coming out ragged. A wheeze and cough escaped her lungs. The air felt thick and as she lifted her eyes towards the path around her, she saw that the fog had drifted into the valley.The sound of leaves rustling caused Adelina to jump to the side, as the silence was played tricks on her. She found her eyes shifting right to left, in a rapid motion, preparing for something to jump out from the forest.

Their footsteps echoed in the gravel. Adelina focused on the silence around her and realized the void of the typical animals. This sends even more chills up her spine and she wrapped her slender arms around her body, trying to give herself warmth.

Something didn't feel right about this. Something was off.

As they continued to push forward, the fog began to settle even more across the gravel path. Only a few feet ahead of them was visible and Adelina began to slow her steps. They came upon an old house to the right and Adelina felt her heart leap for joy when she realized it was Molly's house.  Adelina moved closer and saw the house was vacant at the moment.

"Dad, Molly's house is dark. I bet you that both Tessa and her just got caught up in talking."

Carlson felt hope stir in his chest. He knew how Molly loved to gossip and was sure Adelina was right about this. Those girls would talk through the night if they were allowed.

"Either way she is in trouble. I'll have to give Molly a talk too. She shouldn't keep your sister out like this so late at night."

As they moved closer a loud noise began to filter into the air and Carlson stopped straight in his tracks.