Smoke

okay okay so i got the idea for camping from one of alexa san roman's videos and i just thought it was rlly cute so ye

but honestly i feel like this story is shit what do u guys think

"We're going to Maine?" I asked, looking at the map that Lynn handed to me. She looked excited. "Yeah, Acadia National Park! It's gonna be fun!" she exclaimed, smiling at me. She decided she wanted to drive, and we were going along with Alex, Brian, and Lynn's other friend named Alexa.

Lynn took a bite of her fries, her eyes never leaving mine. "Hey, Ava, look at this," she said, just before she put two fries in her mouth like walrus teeth. I choked on my water while laughing, coughing violently. Lynn giggled before taking the fries out of her mouth and ate them. "Are you okay?" she asked, still laughing. I shook my head. "Yeah, yeah."

I covered my face with my hands, trying to compose myself.

"So Alex said he and Brian are going to cuddle in their own tent, and Alexa brought her own too," Lynn told me. "Aw, Brian and Alex cuddling is seriously the cutest thing ever," I said, taking a sip of water. Lynn raised her eyebrow at me. "Okay, you're the first," I admitted, earning a smile from Lynn. "Hehe I know," she joked.

I touched her legs with mine underneath the table, intertwining them.

I looked out of the window at the parking lot, dreading the rest of the drive.

Once Lynn and I finished eating and paying for the food, we got back in the car and continued the drive to Acadia National Park. It was a cloudy, overcast day, my favorite kind. It reminded me of home.

"So who's Alexa? How'd you guys meet?" I wondered, watching the road. I had never met her before, and Lynn had never said much about her, other than she was a photographer and occasionally wrote some music of her own.

Lynn didn't say anything at first, just focused on driving. "Lynn?"

She glanced over at me. "Uh, we met in Boston at a gig that I played. That's pretty much it. She made a few videos for our band," she replied. I couldn't tell if she was lying, since her sunglasses hid her eyes. "Why are you being all weird about it then?"

Lynn sighed. "We might have dated for a while."

I looked over at her. "Why's she coming?"

Lynn shrugged. "She's an amazing photographer and we asked her to be our photographer for PVRIS and I just thought this might be good to kind of break the ice between us. I just don't want to be butting heads with her the entire tour. It's nothing else. I don't feel anything toward her like that anymore," she explained, looking over at me a couple times.

"So she's coming with you guys for Warped?" I wondered, trying to understand everything. I'll be honest, I was kind of hurt. I mean, what was I supposed to do now that I knew Alexa was Lynn's ex? How could that not make me uncomfortable? Lynn nodded.

And that hurt me, too. I wished I could go along with them, but I couldn't.

"I swear there's nothing going on between us. We're just acquaintances, if anything," Lynn said.

"I believe you. I know," I told her, taking her hand in mine, leaning it on my thigh. Lynn gave me a small smile and turned back to the road.

"Where do you think they are right now?" I wondered.

"Brian's driving but they probably got lost as usual. Their sense of direction is kind of fucked," Lynn stated, taking a right turn. "That must explain why he runs into so many poles," I laughed, remembering the other day. Alex had been on his phone while we were running errands before our trip, and was so engrossed in it that he ran in to like 3 people and a pole. I looked forward to seeing Brian again, who often gave me piggy back rides around the house. He was small, but surprisingly very strong. We had bonded a lot over the past several months. Alex and I too.

Lynn shook her head at the thought of Brian and his clumsiness. "Gotta love him," she said, driving down a windy road. I looked through Lynn's collection of CDs, trying to find something for us to listen to, hoping it would help pass the time. I picked out Save Rock And Roll by Fall Out Boy, putting it in the CD slot. Lynn and I sang along to all the songs, knowing all the lyrics by heart. I missed this. I missed when we used to work in the music shop together and hum along to most of the songs while making lame jokes. I missed it so much. A part of me really wanted it back

But I knew I would miss this too. And as long as I was with Lynn, I would be okay.

sorry for such the short chapter. i meant to finish this earlier but i was having some personal stuff going on and yeah. oh, and i decided that i might continue this story for a little while longer. i have some more ideas (whoop)

-claire