*Epilogue*

*Dan's POV*

Marlhy waited three months after that day to start my magic training. She wanted me to be more mentally stable and capable of concentration. When she did start, I caught on quickly. Phil was my motivation, every single day.

Six months after that, Ava finished her conversion therapy. She was a full fairy, just like Marlhy and I. Her and Marlhy were madly in love, and I'll admit, it was enviable.

Chris had a few more flings, but no serious relationships. He didn't seem like he was that kind of guy.

No matter what, though, I stayed single. It's cliche that I couldn't get over Phil, and it's also cliche that he would have wanted me to find love, but I just didn't have the energy anymore.

It's been five years since all of that, making me twenty years old. I'm fully trained in magic, as is Ava. We all live lives we're somewhat content with, and I think that's a great thing. We do what makes us happy.

PJ has been confirmed dead, as we haven't heard from him at all. He no longer haunts my dreams, which is nice. I still dream about Phil almost every night, which hurts a little, but I'm glad I won't be able to forget about him.

Today I am flipping through the pages of Marlhy's worn spellbook aimlessly, desperately searching for a spell or potion recipe I don't know to keep me occupied. Nothing comes up, and I nearly close the book in frustration when I see a faint glow from the middle of the book I don't know how I've missed. I open up the page and am greeted by white runes, barely visible against the yellowing pages of the book.

Reading these runes makes me jump back. I'm anxious, scared, and excited all at once. My stomach hurts and it's not because I haven't eaten yet today. I call Marlhy into the room and she runs in, fearing the worst.

"What's up?" she asks in a worried tone. Her hair hasn't grown much, only enough so that she can tuck it behind her ears which have become pointier over the years. She wears a wedding band on her left ring finger, fashioned by Ava six months ago out of clay and twigs. It's beautiful.

"Marlhy, why didn't you show me this before?" I ask, gesturing to the page. She squints and reads it before gasping. "I've never been able to see that before. I just thought it was a printing error."

Her hand is over her mouth as she processes what I mean by showing her this. She looks at me, and I look at her.

"Ava?" I call out. "Chris?"

***

We're in the grotto quickly. I bring the book with me for reference. Chris, still nonmagical, steps back to spectate. Marlhy, Ava, and I face a large patch of empty land and read the directions again.

"We all have to say it at once. It's a long one, so don't give up. This is important," I explain. They nod.

We take our spell casting positions and begin.

"Ah, helix begelhav allioa. Men vin harr avlit oche jagge okar hoom tiilbakqa. Anand dina stormre at kaiia hoom oche aterlla vom hin sulletill vaa vir hin vid liv nu. Jer beag en, jer beag!" 

At this, I grow so drained I fall flat on my back and pass out. The last thing I see is a pillar of white light coming down from the sky.

***

When I come to, it is night. I curse my friends for leaving me here. I sit up and am greeted by a campfire. Chris, Marlhy, and Ava are nowhere to be seen, and I panic. Did the spell kill them?

As though he has read my mind, a familiar voice from behind the fire says, "They went home to give us a private moment."

He stands, and begins to walk toward me. I'm not surprised by his appearance. He looks just like I imagined he would look if he were turning twenty right beside me. The man is considerably taller than I remember. His black hair falls shorter than it used to, but his milky skin is still the same. There is a little bit of stubble on his chin and angular, matured jawline. He stares into my eyes with those big blue ones I dream about and smiles.

"Where were those wet dreams you promised me?" I asked, teasingly.

"You won't be needing them anymore," he chuckled.

Reaching out his hand for me, I grab onto it and he hoists me up. Phil wraps his arms around my neck just like he used to, and I wrap mine around his waist. The embrace feels so good, it was almost worth waiting five years for.

He still wears my promise ring, I notice. The one I gave him when everything was still okay.

"Are you real?" I ask.

"Yes, Danny, I'm real. I'm here to stay. I love you."

Before I can reply, I think about what his hand would look like with a wedding ring instead.

"I love you too."