*40*

*Phil's POV*

I came back to the treehouse three hours later with a small vial. In it was a single jasmine flower. The cologne from this flower was the next ingredient in our potion. Marlhy was to extract it when we put it all together.

The jasmine was supposed to represent a magical scent of sorts. I wasn't entirely sure what that meant, but it was crucial to the potion, so I didn't ask questions.

Marlhy took the vial from me and put it in the storage room while she detailed what I missed. Her and Chris had been building another bedroom as to accommodate her new relationship with Ava, Dan had decided to finish his lap regimen because he figured PJ wouldn't strike twice in a day, and the cutest squirrel had paid a visit to the tree beside ours. I laughed and joked that she should've taken a picture of it for me.

When I went into mine and Dan's bedroom to relax for a moment, I had a sudden realization. I couldn't do anything with Dan anymore. I couldn't hug him, kiss him, hold his hand, or sleep beside him. None of that would be pleasant for him in the slightest.

I had to finish this potion quickly, as to save our relationship. I figured I'd be a bit crankier than usual if I couldn't show affection to my boyfriend.

"Marlhy?" I called as I walked into the living area. 

"Yeah?" she responded.

"Where are you?"

"Kitchen, dear."

I went into the kitchen to see her preparing food for Chris, Dan, and I - us being the only ones who had to eat.

"Need something?" she asked, not taking her eyes off the food.

"Yeah, uh, I was wondering how many more ingredients I'd need before the potion is done. I wanna finish it soon, as I figure without the physical part of the relationship, we're both gonna be quite on edge."

"Oh, um, yeah. There's only two left, yeah. Two more...two more. Yeah."

It seemed a bit odd that she was being so weird about it, but she was probably just distracted. "Okay. What's the next one I need to get? I'll try to fetch it today."

She regained her confidence and told me. "The next thing you need is sugar water. You probably don't know how you'll find it, but trust me, you've been to a place where it resides before. There's quite a large supply of it in this forest." 

Marlhy glanced around her momentarily before grabbing a glass jar from the counter. "Fill this," she told me, handing it back to where I stood.

Already brainstorming, I absentmindedly took it from her and walked towards the ladder.

Where have I been? I thought. Here, the bowl valley, the stream, the old tree, the gro-THE GROTTO.

I could have sworn I tasted something sweet in that water.

Wrapping this up in a few chapters, I can't believe it aaaa

Also 40 parts dang