Chapter 30 - On The Town

Start from the beginning

"So you really do know you can be annoying don't you." I snickered. She just scoffed and went back to being... her.

"Honey, our son made a new friend!" She yelled. I mentally and physically sigh. Why does she always have to make my life a public announcement. She didn't do this to my brother or sister. Its like her and dad are always trying to humiliate me.

After a ten minute conversation with my parents I staggered off to my room. I dropped my school bag next to my cream, queen size bed and plopped my back to the soft sheets, what a day. I hope Keegan enjoyed it as much as I did. That got me thinking about my friends and how they ignored him for most of the day. That was awful. They didn't drop their attention from me for a moment and blatantly ignored Keegan. If they kept it up they wouldn't be my "friends" for much longer.

Later I grabbed a snack from the kitchen and headed off to bed. When I woke the next morning I prepared myself for school as usual. As I was making my way down the stairs to the kitchen I caught my brother glaring at me. I frowned in response. He's never seemed to like me very much, but I don't know what I did to make him dislike me. He's a pretty cool guy too, so its a little sad with the way he treats me.

I grabbed a bowl of cereal before heading out to my car. I would take my brother to school but he refuses every time I offer. I guess he prefers taking the bus. I pulled out of the driveway and drove off to school.

Keegan's POV

It was another day, with the only thing on my mind being Theo. I couldn't wait to see him, but was dreading the fact I'd have to hang around his friends. I woke up early so I could buy myself something to eat. There was only one store open near the area, I could understand why though, no one wants to be working at six in the morning. I opened the door to the small diner and entered. I'd only been here once before so I was still uncomfortable and uneasy here. My first time around the people were nice though.

"Welcome." A middle age woman greeted. She wasn't here last time, I assume she works during mornings?

"Uh hi." I replied, taking a seat on a stool in front of the counter.

"What can I get for ya?" She asked in a heavy southern accent. I looked at the large menu hung up on the wall behind the counter.

"I'll have a slice of apple pie and a glass of water, thanks." I ordered, speaking slowly to make sure I don't order the wrong thing.

"Alright, comin' up!" She yelled, turning around to fulfill my order. While she was doing so I turned around to admire the cozy looking diner. It has a very dark orange palette to it. The small green plants really brought the room to life though. It was like being in a forest while being at home. I don't know if that makes sense, its just the best way I can describe it.

"Y'know we could use few more hands 'round here" She informed while placing my order next to me. I looked up at here questioningly.

"We got a few open spots if ya lookin' for a job." Said, smiling my way. I stayed silent awhile thinking it over. I could really use a job now that I think about it. I could pay for my meals without using my savings, and just maybe I could start getting real food. I was beginning to tire of junk food. I know it isn't healthy eating the way I do, but I didn't have much of an option.