Chapter 22: (Just Like) Starting Over

I woke up the next morning the first time in weeks finally feeling a little rested. Knowing that my daughter was home with me and my love.  The sun was shining in so bright. so hot, I reached my arm over to Paul. I looked over at his cute face that was sleeping, I got up and looked in Mary's crib she was sleeping too.

"I'm so glad you're home, Mary," I whispered into her crib not wanting to wake her or Paul. I got back in bed and Paul took me into his arms. "Oh did I wake you up?"

"No.. don't worry, love," He whispered in my ear. I smiled into his chest, he smelled so good. He kissed my lips lightly and smiled. "I'm really happy Mary is home.. let's start over from this point on you know?"

"What you mean?" I asked him quietly as he fixed my hair a little. 

"I mean like.. start over forget the past. Get ready for the rest of lives together," He said looking down at me as we sat up. "Be like we used to be.. I know we've been through hard times and that's what's made our love special. But let's be like when we first met.. just 2 kids falling love," I smiled at the thought of then when we first met almost a year ago now. "Only now we're married.. and we have a daughter who is amazing," 

"Okay I get it now Paul, it's a great idea.. I want to start over not have anything bad anymore. Just live a happy life with.. you," I said kissing him I felt him smile. "And Mary too," 

“I have a surprise for you... for what we’re doing today,” Paul said quietly as he lifted me into his lap.

“What?” I asked putting my hand on his cheek; he smiled down at me a little. “I thought we were going to go in the pool in the yard with Mary?”

“I was thinking well just driving… driving until we find a field... just to lie in a field or something to  just enjoy nature,” He said looking out the window that had sun beating in through already at 10am. “It’ll be great, just doing nothing,” He said as Mary started to make little noises in her crib.

“Hmm… okay,” I sighed a little, I was a little uneasy about the idea, but I figured it would be fun. Anything we did together was fun, he’d make it fun.

“So are you sure about it... because we don’t have to if we don’t want to,” He said with a little disappointment in his voice.

“No, baby… I love it we’ll do it,” I said putting my forehead to his, “I love you… I want you to be happy, you always make sure I am,” He smiled and kissed me lightly, I laughed a little and kissed him back.

“I love you too,” He whispered before kissing me again, “Are you sure?”

“Yes...” I whispered smiling trying to reassure him. He looked at me with those hazel eyes and I took him into my arms. Rubbed his back a little as he just looked into my eyes. "It'll be a great way to start everything over... get away from the world for awhile you know?"

"Yeah I just want to be with you.. no one else but you.. well Mary too of course but what I mean is.. you're the only girl for me. You have been and you always will be," He said, I blushed a little holding him close to me.

             __________________________________________________________________

We got in the car it was so hot and sunny out. Paul was shirtless trying to impress me or something like he didn’t already... I was married to him wasn’t I? But he was cute when he tried to impress me one reason I fell for him so quickly. He looked for some reason extra beautiful today with his sunglasses on, I don’t know I just couldn’t help smiling at him constantly. We were just driving down the thruway we didn't know where we were going but that was okay. That was the point of starting over when we first met and started to fall for each we didn't know where we were going either. It was only almost 11am and it was so hot the windows were rolled down. Mary was laughing in the back it just felt all so perfect to be with the 2 most important people in my life. 

"It's so hot," I said as barely any breeze came in through the window despite the speed we were going. 

"I know.. maybe there'll be a lake or something that we can go into," He said lifting his sunglasses up on his forehead. It just looked all so beautiful not many cars at all, driving away from the city. I'd never been away from my town so close to the city. It was good to get away finally.. away from where all the pain was in the past year. The sun was beating on the car, not a cloud in the sky it was just beautiful. Neither of us said a word for awhile not really needing to though. 

"Do you think this is good?" Paul asked after awhile of nobody saying anything. I looked out the window it was just an empty field nobody at all in it. Grass everywhere you looked a few trees and it looked like there was a little lake that we could go into. I smiled as he turned the car off.

"Yeah it's perfect," I said getting out of the car. He got Mary out along with her diaper bag and our stuff. 

"Good," He said holding Mary in his arms. I had her diaper bag as we walked into the field. He sat down under a tree to get some shade I sat down next to him. Mary started to cry, "I think she needs her diaper changed," I gave him the bag assuming he was going to do it after saying that. He took her dirty diaper off and wiped her. He was such a good father to her really, he really did love her. I smiled at him like it was the first time I had seen him at school. He looked so much more grown it seemed to me since we met. Maybe it was just me I don't know. He looked down at her just like he did when he first held her at the hospital. 

"I really love you, Paul," I said out of nowhere he looked up at me. He blushed a little, it amazed me how we both managed to blush at each after a year of being together almost. 

"Well, Danielle..." 

"Since when are you calling me Danielle?" I laughed he laughed too, "I don't think I ever heard you call me Danielle except for like maybe twice?" He pulled my closer to him, "It's always Dan, Dani, love, darling, babe.. baby," He laughed kissing my forehead. 

"I love you too very very much, Dani," Paul said as his sunglasses fell back on to his eyes, I laughed and put them back on to his head. We just layed in the grass against the tree, put Mary in her carrier so she wouldn't get hurt. He just held me as a breeze finally came through to cool us off. Nothing could've been as peaceful to be laying in his arms under a tree, no cares in the world at all.