Bitter

I could hear the tires of his car crunching on the gravel of my driveway, speeding off in to the night as I stood there under the porchlight. Asher knew as well as I did that Riker was going to find out eventually that I'm missing, but Asher can always prolong the discovery. Taking in a deep breath, I brought my fist up and knocked on the door, rocking back on my heels as I waited.

I couldn't help but feel a little bit on edge - I've never consciously undermined my mate before, so this was some new, uncharted territory.

Will he notice I'm gone right away? How will he react? What will his wolf do?

My list of worries just kept going on and on, I couldn't see an end in sight. I felt my hands beginning to shake, so I clasped them together in front of me, focusing on my breathing.

I was suddenly snapped out of my trance as I heard screaming from somewhere inside the house. It was too loud for my sensitive ears as I flinched, only for the door in front of me to slam open, revealing a frazzled Haley.

"Gemma! Melany! Stop running around the house and go to your room this instant!" Haley screeched, causing me to wince. It didn't seem like she noticed I was standing at the door, so I cleared my throat speaking quietly.

"Have you tried giving them a bubble bath?"

Haley's head snapped in my direction as her eyes widened. Before I knew what was happening, I felt a pair of arms wrap around me, followed by squealing.

"Eden! I thought you were never coming back!"

I cracked a smile at her words, forgetting about the troubles that lie ahead as I hugged her back, enjoying the moment.

"Oh, Eden," Haley gasped, pulling away from the hug in order to look me in the eyes, "please tell me you'll help me with the twins! All night, all they've been doing is running around and around and around and - I just can't take it anymore! They're driving me insane! I don't know how you were able to do this for all these years."

Haley's rambling caused her to go red in the face, adding to her ever present frustration.

"Calm down, Haley, I'll take care of it," I reassured her, stepping inside of my home. I could hear her cheering behind me as I began walking towards the stairs. As I was halfway there, I turned around, facing my sister. "Oh, but don't forget to call Mom and Dad to let them know to come home - it's important."

She quickly nodded her head, running towards the kitchen where the phone sat, leaving me alone once again. The house was oddly quiet in those few moments I stood at the base of the stairs, the sound unwelcome after all the silence I've faced these past few days.

"Ah!" I heard a loud, high pitched scream from upstairs, followed by a loud crash.

Now that's what I'm used to hearing.

I shook my head, running up the stairs towards the source of the noise, no doubt a large smile on my face.