Chapter 8 - A Rescue Attempt

Chapter Eight - A Rescue Attempt

"We have to keep going," Legend announced.  "Someone may come looking for Muse and Thunder."

"Are we going to head for the third cave?" Lizzie asks.

Legend answers.  "Yes, but we'll stop at Energy Falls along the way.  The water from Energy Falls will help us move faster and stay awake longer.  But it may be guarded.  If we find your friends, we will fly back to the other side of the island.  We will need to have two riders on each horse, except for Treasure." 

The storm has ended, but it is still dark, as it is now evening.  The air is cool.  The hail is scattered around the ground and slowly melting.  As we move along, there are fewer trees.  This is not a good thing, as they did help keep us hidden before. 

"Do you think there are any other horses nearby?" I ask.

"Not many, " Legend says, "But be prepared.  I think we are headed for battle."

There is a small river to our right.  We stop and drink from it.  "This river will lead us to Energy Falls!" Fantasy says. I hope she is right.  I am getting very thirsty.

"Is that rabbit following us?" Jacob asks.  I turn and see a white rabbit following behind us to the left.

"Let me guess.  We've left Oz and now we're with Alice and the white rabbit in Wonderland," I joke.

"I'm not sure if we can trust the rabbit or not," Legend says.  "Let's just keep an eye on it for now and keep going."

The stars are glistening over the Falls.  When I step into the water, I do feel invigorated.  The moon is almost full.  It brings back memories from my life as a horse. 

I hear a voice.  It is very muffled, but I think it is Kayla!

We follow the voice.  We find Kayla held to a tree by a thick vine that is wrapped around her many times.  "I"m so glad to see you!" she says.  Evan and I tried to escape, but a black horse found us.  He commanded these vines to hold us as prisoners."

"Then where is Evan?" Jacob asks.

"I don't know.  He was allergic to the vine.  After the black horse left, he started swelling up.  A white rabbit chewed the vines loose and then Evan and the rabbit both disappeared!"

"We just saw a white rabbit!" Lizzie exclaims.

"Did you see Evan?" Kayla asks.

"No, but let's get you loose and look for him!" I suggest.

Treasure stares intently at the vines.  They burst open and Kayla falls forward. "I did it!" Treasure says proudly.

The white horse Muse suddenly appears again.  "Don't celebrate yet!" she says.  "This battle has just begun!" 

Fantasy touches Muse with her wings, but she quickly pulls away.

"Time to fly!" Legend screams.