"Same with you." I sighed. "We didn't run into anyone really. Just two, and Justin killed one of them." I ended quietly, feeling the familiar empty gap in my stomach again as I remembered the shaking woman in the room.

"Do you think it's finally over?" I turned to Tyler as he simultaneously looked over at me.

"Well, for now anyway." He looked behind our backs to our little army of volunteers. They all looked so worn out that they couldn't possibly take another step. I felt the same way, it was pure adrenaline that kept me going now.

"We won't have to worry about them anymore." I couldn't help the smile that formed on my lips. "If only Ashton could have been here." The smile immediately morphed into a sad one, rather than triumphant.

"Me too." Tyler sighed, before he looked at me again, rolling his bottom lip into his teeth. "Hey..."

I raised an expectant eyebrow. "Yes...?"

"I've been thinking a lot about the open Beta position lately." Tyler started, staring deep into my eyes. "I want you to be the new Beta."

"Me?" My jaw slackened but I immediately shut it back. "No, it can't be me. I'm not a man, and it should be your Delta who steps up."

Tyler gave me a flat look. "Since when do you care about whether it's a male or female position. You single handedly trained the Moonstones, and besides, I trust that you will honor Ashton in that position."

I could honor Ashton in that position.

If it was the one thing I could give Ashton — it was to make sure it wasn't some scumbag who ended up as Beta after him.

I might not be perfect for the role, and far from ready to take it, but I had years to learn and I would never do anything that could harm The Nightshade Pack.

The crunching of the grass below our feet as we walked and the rustling of leaves on trees from the wind were the only sounds that echoed between Tyler and I.

"I'll... I'll try it out." I finally said after much silence. For Ashton.

Tyler beamed. "Great, you start training tomorrow."

I rolled my eyes. I couldn't even get one day to relax and pig out in my bed with Ava.

Tyler walked off, leaving me alone to my thoughts. My eyes unintentionally trailed over to Cael. He walked with his head hung low, hands tucked in his pocket.

My heart wanted to forgive him, to be with him so that I could be happy. But my brain couldn't help but wonder what would happen to me if he went back to his old ways.

For some reason when I was with Cael, or whenever he was near, a weirdly quiet content feeling spread over me. It was a feeling I never felt with Ashton, no matter how much I loved him.

"You finally want to give Cael a chance?" My wolf purred in my head, not even bothering to hide the irritation laced in her tone. "You finally realize that he wants you just as much as you want him?"

"I don't want him.." I trailed off, infuriated at her. She let out a scoff in my head and went dead silent. She'd left again, just like before, but this time it was different. She was leaving me to decide for myself — for once.