Chapter eleven

"Love is about going that extra mile even if it hurts"

-- Jennifer Flackett, Little Manhattan: The movie Novel.

______________________

I stormed to my room and slammed the door shut. My parents actually thought they could tell me what to do. The stopped having that privilege the day they stood by and did nothing while I got hurt. While The Moonstone Pack treated me like dirt.

I watched them obsess over Cassie's "achievements" and how they showered her with kisses and affection. They bought her everything and gave her anything she could've ever wanted.

Shaking my head, I stalked into the bathroom. I fixed myself up a little bit, teasing my hair so it looked less flat and walked back out into the hallway to start the second half of training. I dreaded that, not knowing what other surprises would come along today.

My life had changed in so many ways for the past week all because of those stupid hunters. I'd never even hurt any of them unless they threatened to hurt my friends and I, they brought this onto themselves. I walked past the children's playroom. It was Ashton's before but he gave it up so the younger werewolves would have something to do since they were too young to fight. I loved him so much.

The room was large — considering the fact that Ashton was Beta. Now though, it looked a lot smaller with the toys scattered over the ground, and also with some children running around. The blue walls were covered in drawings and paintings that some of the kids had done.

The little boys and girls of all years ranging from three to thirteen all ran around the room and played with each other — well mostly, the older ones lounged around on their phones. An older girl of about thirteen was reading a story to the younger ones, the classic Cinderella story.

They were lucky, they were lucky enough to be able to have each other. They were happy enough that they still believed in mates. That was because they'd never felt like a lost cause, they'd never been rejected by the one who was supposed to love you. I knew better, I'd had first hand experience to have your heart torn into pieces by a heartless jerk that only cared about his reputation.

There was a blonde boy about six years old that caught my eye, there were a group of girls talking with him and guffawing loudly.

Basically as close as you can get to flirting as six year olds. The boy didn't pay attention, he waved them away and called the other girls who sat in isolation 'losers'. It wasn't exactly an offensive insult but to a kid, it would definitely take a toll on you.

"When you find your mate, he will reject you cause you're so fat and ugly!" The blonde boy cackled along with his little friends. "And if I was your mate, I'd reject you too!" He stuck out his tongue and laughed at the brunette girl who stood defensively. The other kids around them watched and didn't say a word.

My blood immediately boiled in my veins. I knew he must've meant it as a joke, but it hit home for me. He didn't know how badly one's chest burned at those words, and how it would stay that way for years after.

Without thinking, I walked into the playroom and towards the group of bullies and the little girl who's eyes had begun to look glassy, her lips jutted out into a pout.

I bent down to my knees to be at eye level with the the kid. "What's your name?" I asked.

The boys eyed each other and then me, their eyebrows furrowing slight in confusion. The blonde but recovered quickly however, his lips twitching into a smirk.

"I'm Andy." He pointed time himself proudly, practically bursting with pride and with his huge ego.

I almost rolled my eyes at this, he was exactly like the younger version of Cael from what I could remember. The other boys behind him nodded, snickering about me to each other.