Chapter nine

"She knows herself to be at mercy of events, and she knows by now that events have no mercy."

-- Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assasin

________________________

Training the Moonstone Pack was way more exhausting than I had imagined. It turned out that none of them had ever fought in their human form, and they never caught onto anything I said, ever.

They just smirked at me and asked me to show them what I meant — over and over again. I would show them and each time I did, they'd stop mocking me. It was as if they refused to believe that I wasn't that same girl anymore, and the fact that we did need to train in order to survive.

"No Cassie, you don't hold a fist like that, if you missed his face, you would break your thumb." I told my sister, motioning to her fist with her manicured thumb sticking out. If the person ducked or moved away slightly, she could break her thumb and then another unnecessary, injured person will need to be taken care of. Seriously, we didn't have time for that.

"Since when was there a way to hold a fist right?" Cassie rolled her eyes, a hand on her hip. People around us watched, practically straining their ears. They didn't even bother to be subtle about it.

The former Luna of The Moonstone Pack was picking a fight with their trainer and let me just add — the strongest werewolf in the region. Everyone knew better not to question what I was saying at this point.

"There's always been a way dumbass, I suggest you just break you thumb now because it will happen." I  shook my head at her.

Instead, she sighed in annoyance all the while her eyes disappeared behind her head. To my surprise though, she tucked her thumb inside her fist in an attempt to listen to my commands. To bad it was also an incorrect way to hold a fist.

"Cassie, don't tuck it in, it doesn't make your thumb safer, leave it out to the side by your knuckles." I ran a hand over my face, getting restless. I'd shown the group many times how to hold a proper fist, it was as if Cassie was doing everything in her power to get on my nerves. Every last one of them.

She spun around, her eyes shooting daggers at me. "What do you want from me? First you told me to not stick my thumb and now you want it back out, what kind of a trainer are you?" She demanded, her face contorted in contempt. My patience was running thin — as thin as a piece of hair, and she was pulling every one of my straws. The last one wasn't very far away.

"I told you not to tuck it in, I'm saying to leave it out but not stick inside your fist, is it that hard to understand what I'm saying?" She gave me a look, nodding.

The couple werewolves around us snickered and stopped what they were doing, as if they'd sensed a fight starting. Believe me, I was gonna end it now, no one could speak to me that way anymore. Not even my older sister.

"You know what, if you have a problem holding your fist the right way, just leave now because you won't be any help arguing." I sighed.

She sucked her bottom lip, her eyes narrowed at me as she formed her fist the way I had told her to.

See, that wasn't so bad.

Blessing the gods for the fact that that was over, I strolled away, noticing how the group immediately started training and fighting with each other again. Though most gawked at me as I walked by.

I seriously needed Ashton and Ava to be here, they were the only ones who could mellow me out whenever I would get angry. Though of course I kept composed as best I could. Losing it in front of my old pack wasn't the best thing to do.