Chapter twenty

"Maybe that's what love is. Having someone who guides you through different experiences, coaxes you to try news things but still makes you feel safe."
― Wally Lamb, We Are Water

_________________________

Tyler came up to me. "Is everyone accounted for?" He was still out of breath, panting slightly. His own face splattered with a few droplets of another's blood. His hair matted with sweat.

Relief filled my stomach from the sight of him. He was alright, and so was Cael.

I nodded, glancing back at my own team. All seven of them had made it out unscathed.

"Everyone's just fine." I managed a smile, but I knew it didn't reach my eyes.

It sucked knowing that vengeance wasn't enough to help me move on.

I snuck a quick glance at Justin, who stared off into space by himself as he watched the sunrise. I didn't want to imagine how he felt, after seeing Tiara die the way she did. I was nowhere near fine after Ashton left.

Cael stood off to the side, wiping whatever guck he had on his face with his dirty hands, but it only managed to smear the dirt on his cheek. I found it utterly unfair that he still looked so breathtaking even with the sweat and grime on his face.

It was completely unfair that he still managed to look breathtaking with all the dirt and sweat on his face. He peered up and our eyes met. My breath hitched slightly as I adverted my gaze immediately.

"Good. Now, I'm going to see if they'll compromise." Tyler glanced back at the group of hunters who still sat huddled on the ground.

He spun around in his heels and headed towards them. I watched as he sat down in front of the group, his mouth moving as he talked with them. The hunters listened intently without interrupting or belittling him.

Whatever he was proposing, I knew it would be a great deal for both side. Tyler was a natural at leading, and anyone — even me — found it hard to disagree with him. He had some sort of persuasive power over everyone.

I sighed, glancing up at the sky again. This time, the orange and yellow shades had been replaced with blue. The sun was finally up. An early morning breeze blew, combing through my tangled strands of hair as it weaves past me.

After a few minutes, Tyler stood up again, his hands on his knees as he pushed himself up from the ground. He gave me a light nod, a small smile lingering on his lips and that was all it took for me to realize that he'd gotten his way — a compromise, a treaty.

In a silent agreement, Tyler, Cael and I began setting off in the direction of home. The volunteers and those who'd been rescued followed without another word, though I didn't miss some of the groans as they stood up from the grass.

I glanced back at the group of about 30 of us. No one had died — for a lack of better word. Just a bunch of minor injuries.

"How many did you guys have to kill?" I asked as Tyler fell into step with me. We hiked further and further away from the mansion, the large house was beginning to look smaller and smaller as we walked on — as if the threat hadn't been all that large to begin with.

"Not much, only a few who threatened us as we were leaving." He responded nonchalantly as he trained his gaze ahead of us. We entered a large forest of trees, the underbrush immediately shielded us from the blazing sun.  "What about you guys?"