Chapter thirteen

'When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight. ~Kahlil Gibran'

________________________

Tyler dismissed training earlier for the day from that... unexpected occurrence. I was glad, I needed to hide away in my room. I needed time alone just for a couple hours.

Ashton slid his hand into mine as we walked up the stairs. "Thank god this day is over." He let out a heavy sigh and I giggled.

We stopped in front of my room and he wrapped his arms around me. I nuzzled my face into his chest, inhaling his comforting scent as the familiar warmth spread over my stomach.

"Tyler wants to see me, so I gotta get going." He murmured, swinging us from side to side as he stepped on one foot and then the other.

"Do you have to? Can't we take a nap together?" I pouted up at him. "Maybe we can make cookies again!"

He chuckled, eyes gleaming. "Sure Lila, right after Tyler is finished with me."

He leaned down, pressing a kiss on the square of my lips as his grip tightened on me momentarily. Regrettably, he released me.

"See you soon, love you." He pressed another kiss on my forehead before turning away.

"I love you too." My lips twitched up, though I wanted to frown from the absence of his lips on my forehead. I watched until his retreating figure — his beautiful dark hair and broad shoulders — disappeared around the corner before I opened the door to my own room.

Just as I stepped through the threshold, a piercing shriek erupted from outside.

For fucks sake, what was it now?

I sprung into action bolted to the window. There were people — who I'd never seen before— strapped with weapons, guns, needles and knives as they stalked around the field.

Hunters. They were here.

Without thinking, I sprung into action, dashing to my closet where I ripped out my daggers, and knives. I charged downtown the stairs and out the door with my weapons loaded in my hands.

As I approached the field, I saw Tyler in his wolf form. He was easy to spot, his auburn coloured wolf being larger than others as he was Alpha. He fought off as many hunters as possible with his mouth and paws, basically ripping them apart at the neck.

I recognized Ava immediately, who fought alongside with Tyler, though she rarely did anything under Tyler's protection. I envied her mate bond with Tyler, it was just something I could never have.

Dyson and Trace fought together with their mates in the middle of the field, pretty much unstoppable. I searched the crowd, scanning over multiple wolves and some in their human forms as I desperately looked for Ashton. I needed to know if he was okay, I needed to see him.

I finally caught sight of him. My eyes stared far into the field where a group of hunters surrounded him. He was in his wolf form, snarling at them with barred teeth. It didn't matter if he wasn't afraid, he was outnumbered and he needed help. But no one was around.

How could they let this happen?

I sprinted full speed in human form, killing every hunter in my way, slashing them with my daggers and knives in hand, I ignored the blood that splattered over my clothes and face.

There was a hunter, cornering Ashton into a tree. He wore a large leather jacket, his light hair matted with blood and sweat. He sneered at Ashton and I gasped when he pulled out a silver gun. It gleamed in the sunlight as he pointed it at Ashton's wolf.