Spiritual Networking - Chapter 11

Start from the beginning

Millie cringed at the word darlin’, her parents called her that and it was a word she rather not hear, but she did not tell Paul. “The first time they talk to a girl, they make their voice sound all deep and husky and go all Love Master on them.”

“Love master? I don’t know what you are talking about.” Paul’s voice was still deep and husky proving her point.

Millie laughed again, “OK, but you just did it. Your voice dropped like you were trying to woo me.”

Paul smiled and a grin came on Millie’s face as well, “Well darlin’,” he said in the deep voice again, “maybe I am.”

Millie outright laughed, and laughed, and laughed. Sending goosebumps dancing up Paul’s arms. “You have a wonderful laugh. Listening to it, I wish I would have suggested this sooner.”

Millie stopped laughing and looked at the screen. “I wouldn’t have said yes.” She smiled, “Maybe I should just end the conversation now.”

Paul grabbed his chest and said, “You wound me. You wouldn’t do that to me now, would you darlin’?”

“Keep calling me that and the end is comin’ sooner than you think!” Still Millie had a grin on her face, but he could tell it was one of warning.

“OK. No more darlin’. But can I ask why?” Paul was giving her his best pouting look, he truly wanted to know, but he also wanted to keep the conversation light with banter.

“Let’s just say that I have heard that word more times than I care to in my life.” Millie looked at him and smiled, “But, if you want to be compared with my parents, who have called me that all my life, I guess that is fine.”

“It is a term of endearment in the south. I completely understand. I will think of something else to call you.” Paul said with a smile, “what is your favorite flower?”

“Gardenia. Why?”

“I could call you my little gardenia.”

“You really want this conversation to end don’t you?” Millie said with a smile. “Why do I need a nickname? Just call me Millie.”

“But that takes the fun out of it.” Paul flashed her his most charming smile. “Now, what about Belle? or Scarlet?”

Millie laughed, “Scarlet? Like I would ever be like her! NO!” Then a twinkle appeared in her eye, “does that mean I can call you a nickname?”

“No. But Scarlet was the epitome of a Southern Belle. She fought for what was right...”

He was cut off by Millie, “And she stabbed anyone in the back who stood in her way.”

“But, it holds a special meaning for me because you introduced me to the movie and watched it with me.” Paul’s smile grew and he added, “Besides, you talk like her.”

“Now fiddle-de-dee! NO!” Millie was not going to have him calling her some nickname, “unless you want to go by my nickname for you.”

“Which is?”

Millie could not stop the wide smile that spread across her face, “I can see it now, especially if I ever go back to your church and call you this.”

“Call me what?”

“Love Master!”

Paul’s face drained of color. Millie could see the change all at once. “Millie suits you just fine dear.”

A smile of triumph was on Millie’s face, “I thought you would see it my way, LOVE!” She snickered.

“Very funny!” Paul laughed. “So, tell me about yourself!”