Chapter 34

"Thank you Peter, we'll be down in a moment." Harry replied as Peter shut the door and went back down.

"I'm not joking Harry. I want you to throw that note out because if you don't this whole trip of me coming down here was a waste." I said as I stood up and walked out of the door, then remembering I forgot where the dinner hall was I walked back in.

"I don't know where the dinner hall is." I said as Harry shook his head with a smirk and walked over towards me.

"Follow me." He said as he linked an arm into mine. This was the first time he had made a move to touch me this entire trip and it made my breath hitch. "Madeline?"

"Yes?"

"Will you promise me something?"

"Uh-sure I guess."

"That I can take you out to dinner once while you're here?"

"Yeah." I responded as we walked through the towering doors into the dining room. My mom and grandma were already seated waiting for us.

"This is beautiful." I said as I looked around at the arched ceiling and the gold lined chairs. I had seen a glimpse of the room when we walked past it on the tour but nothing to this extent.

"Have a seat." Harry said as he pulled my chair out for me and pushed it in once I sat down. He then took his seat at the end of the table with my grandma and I on either side of him.

"So how was your chat?" My grandma asked as she looked towards Harry and I.

"Talked a lot about the past. We definitely had some catching up to do. How was the tour of the gardens?"

"Oh my they're even prettier when you walk through them. You have a beautiful home." My mom said as our food was brought out on silver platters.

Four servants came out and set the plates in front of us before removing the lids at the same time and exiting back where they came from. In front of each of us was a gleaming plate of pasta.

"I didn't know exactly what you ladies would like tonight so I just said pasta, if you need anything or want a change in meal please feel free to ask." Harry said but all of us were already digging in.

"Pasta is my favorite." I mumbled as Harry looked over and caught my eye with a smile.

"So Edward are you and Maddie the same age?"

"Uh yes, I believe so. We graduated the same year." Harry said as my grandma smiled.

"May I ask what you do for work?" My mom asked which made my eyes go wide as I stopped eating.

"Yes of course, I own three businesses across the United States and one in Europe selling new software for computers. That's actually why I was in Rhode Island this last month. On a business trip. This new technology is so demanding." He said so flowingly making me wonder if he was telling the truth or not.

"Now you see I won't even let Maddie here buy me a computer. I can barely work a flip phone." My grandma said making Harry smile.

"I'm not a big fan of technology either to be quite honest, I just liked the dedication and energy everyone put in when we were developing the software. It's cooled down a lot now." He said as I ate my spaghetti quietly trying to conclude if Harry's story was actually real.

"Madeline? Hello? Did you hear what I asked?" My mom said a few moments later as I looked up from my plate.

"What? Sorry I was thinking." I said as she looked at me ponderously.

"I asked if you had told Edward about your business."

"Uh-no I haven't. I-uh." I stuttered as I suddenly became a bit light headed.

"Would you mind if I excused myself to my room? I feel a bit faint." I said quickly as I pushed my chair out from underneath the table.

"No of course not, can I walk you to your room?" Harry asked quite concerned as I nodded my head hesitantly. He placed his hand on my lower back as he guided me towards the stairs.

"He's such a gentlemen." I could hear my mom and grandma snicker from the dining room as we walked up the stairs.

"Did I say something that you made upset?" Harry asked once we reached my room.

"What? Of course not. I was just eating too fast and hearing about your business made me sick to my stomach because I know how much work I'm going to have to do when I get home." I said as I sat down on the bed taking off my shoes.

"Can I ask what you do? You don't have to answer if it will make you more sick-"

"I co-own a dentist office with my good friend Megan. We've been in business for about three months and there's been more paperwork than I could've imagine. I don't get home till 10 at night sometimes." I said as I rubbed my eyes.

"You need to get more rest."

"You sound like Er-my grandma." I shook my head at the thought of even bringing Eric up.

"Well, this time down here should do you good, can I get you anything before I leave? A glass of water?"

"No that won't be necessary." I said as he nodded his head and turned towards the door. "Thank you Harry."

"My pleasure Madeline. Have a nice night."